Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to get rid of wheel hop....

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default how to get rid of wheel hop....

hey guys i have a 01 SS M6 with stock suspension(except a single adjustable panhard bar) and have horrible wheel hop just need to know what i need to do to get rid of the wheel hop..... i'm guessing lowing springs and some lower control arms but other then that i don't know so please chime in and let me know what worked for you thanks.....
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually lowering springs might make it worse. I'd guess lowering springs would enhance wheel hop with the way the ctrl arm angles will change.

Things that have improved wheel hop. Better shock damping, keeping the axle side LCA angle low which is fixed by LCA relo brackets, tightening up the axle play which can be done with better LCA bushings, aftermarket LCA's, or aftermarket torque arm. I'd guess though you could probably do 1 or 2 of these things and improve the problem significantly.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I agree.... I would start with the easy things like LCA's and LCA relo brackets. Do your self the favor and fork up the extra $ for adj. LCA's. I wish I did.......... After that you can save up for a torque arm and every thing else.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Throw some 4.10's in there, you won't have any wheel hop
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A few ideas for you!

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Yeah I agree.... I would start with the easy things like LCA's and LCA relo brackets. Do your self the favor and fork up the extra $ for adj. LCA's. I wish I did.......... After that you can save up for a torque arm and every thing else.
Hello
He's correct! The cause for wheel hop is the flimsy stock control arms or bad bushings. I would suggest get a good solid control arm on (depending on what your plans are for the car. And put a set of LCARB to allow to adjust the lower control arm more parallel. Therefore eliminating the wheel hop. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...db38mtnrv8q520

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...db38mtnrv8q520

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks

Brad
Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice thank you so much..... i'm so tired of the wheel hop it already killed my stock 10 bolt carrier i don't wanna go through another one..... thanks again
Old 07-16-2009, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

No Problem! Glad I could help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

A good pair of rear shocks (cough Koni) solved the issues I had w/ wheel hopping and spinning. All of these relo brackets are great but I think they should be the last ditch resort when good suspension components don't fix the hop, not a band-aid like many people use them for.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacked_Out_SS
hey guys i have a 01 SS M6 with stock suspension(except a single adjustable panhard bar) and have horrible wheel hop just need to know what i need to do to get rid of the wheel hop..... i'm guessing lowing springs and some lower control arms but other then that i don't know so please chime in and let me know what worked for you thanks.....
Hello, your wheel hop issue is easy to get rid of. First you will need lower control arms. The factory rubber bushings don't help this situation at all and the stock arms can flex under load. I would also suggest control arm relocation brackets. The allow you to adjust the instant center of your car fine tune your car. A good torque arm, torque arm relocation bracket and shocks will help your car perform in any type of driving situation. Lowering the car will not help with the wheel hop but it will make the cars stance much better. Give me a call and we can go over which parts would be best for your driving style.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I figured I'd point out I'm lowered with no wheel hop. I have koni shocks. Stock LCA's, stock star shaped LCA bushings, no relo's, stock torque arm. I've launched about 200+ probably more times within the past 3 years on my current setup. Unprepared surfaces. I got wheel hop maybe once or twice and it was very minor and I launched poorly.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Stock torque arm too btw
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of things and combinations of things can cause wheelhop. I'd actually try shocks first as when I put my Bilsteins on, wheelhop completely ceased. It's come back as they've gotten older, though it still rides pretty good. It could be something else causing it, but the other things people think fixes wheel hop, I have already done. I'd try shocks first - Konis or Bilsteins - and I bet the problem is dramatically reduced. What trires and transmission do you have?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Lots of things and combinations of things can cause wheelhop. I'd actually try shocks first as when I put my Bilsteins on, wheelhop completely ceased. It's come back as they've gotten older, though it still rides pretty good. It could be something else causing it, but the other things people think fixes wheel hop, I have already done. I'd try shocks first - Konis or Bilsteins - and I bet the problem is dramatically reduced. What trires and transmission do you have?
i have a stock T-56 with a stock clutch and out back i have toyo T1R's(295/35/18's)

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, your wheel hop issue is easy to get rid of. First you will need lower control arms. The factory rubber bushings don't help this situation at all and the stock arms can flex under load. I would also suggest control arm relocation brackets. The allow you to adjust the instant center of your car fine tune your car. A good torque arm, torque arm relocation bracket and shocks will help your car perform in any type of driving situation. Lowering the car will not help with the wheel hop but it will make the cars stance much better. Give me a call and we can go over which parts would be best for your driving style.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/
thank you for chiming in.... the only thing i've done to the suspension is a BMR single adj. panhard bar but other then that i'm 100% stock and i really don't wanna break this new center carrier i just had to install in the rear axle
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

There are multiple things that can cure wheel hop. They include, but are not limited to:
Adjustable LCAs
LCA Relocation Brackets
Adjustable Torque Arms
Torque Arm Relocation Bracket (I disagree with changing the geometry, but only because I am an engineer and understand the static and dyanmic forces at work here)
Shocks
Springs
Adjustable Panhard bar (won't help with hop, but will help with side-to-side movement)
There may be others, but they escape me at this point. The problem is, folk tend to take the parts replacement approach, or the "this worked for me" approach. If you are serious about your quest, and money is limited, I suggest calling an expert in the business, San Strano. He knows what he is talking about, will ask the correct questions, and will offer the correct solutions. UMI and BMR are great sponsors, but their job is to sell you parts (not a slam, merely a fact). Sam will make sure that you end up with what you want, which is no wheel hop without purchasing extra parts. Also, he has the experience and expertise to know what you need. And his service after the sale is second-to-none.

Whenever I have any suspension-related question, I go to Sam. He knows his stuff, bar none. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Air bags and call it a day.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

shocks are the most important piece that will remove wheel hop.

i had no wheel hop before my lcas and brackets when i had just konis and lowering springs.

Quick Reply: how to get rid of wheel hop....