Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Binding in the rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Binding in the rear suspension?

Alright suspension pros, I've been having this problem for a while now, and its getting to the point that the car is unbearable to drive. I thought it was cam surge at first, because it only happens at steady throttle, but I'm thinking it has to do with the back suspension more than anything. It starts with a little shimmy and works it way up to a jumping motion that literally makes me afraid its going to snap my axle or something.

Also, when you accelerate and then push the clutch in the whole back end "unloads" and makes a sound like the driveshaft just snapped in half. This is on top of all the clunking and rattling from the back suspension.

I have poly/rod LCA's and poly/rod panhard bar, and I feel like those are the culprits since the car never had a problem with the stock rubber bushing pieces. I also have a BMR torque arm but it is non adjustable, and a UMI torque arm relocation crossmember. The pinion angle is set at -2 right now. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do? I have NO CLUE how to center the axle with the single adjustable LCA's and panhard, maybe its off center and thats the problem? It really feels like the bushings are binding or something, and fwiw when I had the axle out the LCA's are extremely hard to twist up and down even if you put your full weight on them.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM
FormerVendor

Default UMI Performance!

Hello
Seeing how you already have adjustable suspension parts in the rear you shouldn't have any binding issues just loosen up the hardware on the bushing side and load the suspension back up and then tighten back up (just in case its bushing bind). But seeing how you had the axle out a problem with rear lower control arm (did you readjust the rod end by chance to get it to fit?) If so that would have offset the rear end. A easy way to see if the tires are centered is get a measurement for inside the fender to the lip of the rim. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad

Last edited by UMI Sales; 07-16-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Seeing how you already have adjustable suspension parts in the rear you shouldn't have any binding issues just loosen up the hardware on the bushing side and load the suspension back up and then tighten back up (just in case its bushing bind). But seeing how you had the axle out a problem with rear lower control arm (did you readjust the rod end by chance to get it to fit?) If so that would have offset the rear end. A easy way to see if the tires are centered is get a measurement for inside the fender to the lip of the rim. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad

I'll try measuring it, but I set them to be the exact same length as the stock ones when I put them on. The ones I Have have to be removed to adjust them so I decided not to deal with it and set it at stock length, which I don't see why there would be a problem because the stock ones were perfectly fine.

EDIT: just went an measured from the front of the wheel well both sides are identical 6 1/8" to the lip of the rim.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't measure to body work. Measure to points on the frame. Bodywork can easily be off by up to 1/2".

Are the bolts on the torque arm relocation device still tight? That "clunking" when you decelerate was exactly what I heard when I broke my TA mount.

You may be better off taking it to an alignment shop. For less than $100, they can stick some laser levels on the rear and tell if it's not lined up properly.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not a clunking, I've had a loose torque arm before and its not that. Its an incredibly loud snapping noise from the back of the car, and it feels strong enough to damage something. From SOTP it happens from the right rear towards the left rear. I have some non adjustable LCA's from a buddy I will try this weekend and see if it makes a difference. It feels like the rod ends on mine are binding up for some reason.

00_Trans, where should I measure to? Like the frame right in front of the axle? I picked the fender by the rocker panel since it had a line there for me to make sure I was at the same height on each side. I think I may just end up taking it to a shop as you said but I don't know of any around me that can deal with adjustable suspension parts.

Last edited by Arc00TA; 07-16-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Binding in the rear suspension?