Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted

I'm looking to get a new torque arm and came across these two options. What are the pro's and cons of both? What I've come across so far is that the tunnel brace mounted makes ground clearance worse and makes more noise as the brace is mounted to the floor of the car, but has the pro of taking stress off the tail of the tranny. Any other pro's and cons for the two? Whats the main point of having the tunnel brace mounted torque arm?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M6 or A4? Will you be launching this car very hard? If not I'd just go with the tranny mounted to avoid issues.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an M6 and plan on seeing the track with drag radials a couple times a year
Old 07-30-2009, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
I'm looking to get a new torque arm and came across these two options. What are the pro's and cons of both? What I've come across so far is that the tunnel brace mounted makes ground clearance worse and makes more noise as the brace is mounted to the floor of the car, but has the pro of taking stress off the tail of the tranny. Any other pro's and cons for the two? Whats the main point of having the tunnel brace mounted torque arm?
Hello I noticed that you are interested in the different type of torque arms. The pros of both set ups are anytime you get the torque arm off of the rear of the transmission its a good thing seeing how you wont have to worry about breaking the tail shaft (casing) if your making a lot of power. Well I would suggest if the vehicle is a daily driver and does see the track a lot I would suggest going with a relocation cross member it will give you less noise compared to the tunnel mounted arm as long as you do not have a poly transmission mount. The pro of the tunnel mounted arms are they transfer weight faster than a full length arm but seeing how they mount right under the sets you get a little road noise (but if you have big power plans for the vehicle this is the type of arm to get) Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...3l2tn7vmd57mb7

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...3l2tn7vmd57mb7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much ground clearance would I lose with a tunnel brace mounted torque arm ??
Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, the main purpose for the tunnel mount torque arm is to take the stress off of the transmission tailshaft. We offer two different solutions to this problem. We have our full length torque arm that is strong enough to handle a 9 second quarter mile pass and combine that with our torque arm relocation crossmember that takes the arm off of the trans and mounts it on an adjustable bracket on a new crossmember. The benefit of the crossmember is a weight savings, and you can adjust the front of the torque arm up or down which will effect the way your car launches at the track.
The other option is either our Trak Pak or Xtreme torque arms. They are shorter than the full length arms. The Trak Pak is good for a nine second car and the Xtreme is good for anything faster than that. Each of these torque arms has a crossmember that welds in between your frame connectors. The crossbar is 1 5/8" dom steel and the front of the torque arm attaches to this bar. Since the bar is shorter it hits the tires on launch much harder than the full length arm. The only drawback to the shorter arms is a loss of ground clearance due to the crossbar. If you have any questions about any of these products please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted-ta001-small.jpg   Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted-tcc006-small.jpg   Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted-trakpak.jpg   Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted-xtremeta-small.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help, i know what im gonna go with now

Quick Reply: Tranny mounted torque arm vs tunnel brace mounted