Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Intrax Springs Installed-Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intrax Springs Installed-Review

I installed some Intrax springs this weekend on my camaro. This was the first time I worked on a car suspension in a very long time (since my beretta days) and I have to say thank you to the post on the suspension/brake FAQ with the lowering guide for newbies. It helped tremendously. I have to say, though, I hate compressing springs. A couple of things I learned from the install:
- have some wd-40 (or alike) handy. it helps.
-GM pissed me off with that Torx 50 bolt under the master cyliner (WTF). I unbolted the master cylinder and moved it around and I could not fit the torx bit under there to save my life, so I used an allen wrench. I could fit that in there and it did the trick. I had to inch it for a bit, but it wasn't too bad.
-Sway bar bolts suck (they were long, rusty as hell, and gave me a workout all the way through). I sprayed them with some wd40 first (it helped a little).
-When installing the spring/shock assembly back, try to align the bottom shock mount so tha tyou don't have to turn it to align with the LCA holes. It's not easy to turn those mounts on the shock (at least in my case). I had to actually take the assembly out to turn them.

The rear was pretty easy. The only thing that delayed me a little was the lock nut on my wheels. My lock nut key did not work, so I had to jam a 3/4 12 point socket on those things to get them out.

Intrax Springs- Low; just the way I like it. I can easily say it was more than a 2" drop (maybe 2.25 or so). The ride is surprisingly better than I expected. I am happy with it. Much stiffer and it feels like the car is more "planted" to the ground. I have the stock decarbon shocks, so I'm sure the ride will probably change in time, but we shall see. Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade. I know these springs are not to everybody's liking, but I wanted a low stance with a decent ride, and it's exactly what I got.

Oh, and thanks for the advice on keeping the rear isolator. It was good advice. It sits perfect with it on.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

just shows that everyones definition of "acceptable" is different. Glad you're happy.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pjb
just shows that everyones definition of "acceptable" is different. Glad you're happy.
+1...i agree
Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I imagine you might need new shocks down the road with that big of a drop but anyway you should post some pictures, I'm curious to see what the stance looks like..
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I will definietly post some pics up later. I need to wash my car first..
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Intrax springs all around and they lowered my car about 2-1/2" , Now you need to know that the springs will collapse after a few years , you will start noticing hitting the bump stops like mine did, I took the springs out and set them side by side and the rear passenger side spring was a 1" shorter than the driver side, But for the price there descent springs,Yours my not do it if you don't do a lot of hole shot.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen one car with those before. It was slammed!! No ground clearance at all.

Quick Reply: Intrax Springs Installed-Review