Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help, power steering venting high rpm

Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, power steering venting high rpm

weird power steering issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted this in the drag section a while ago and got no resopnses. I just looked into a factory cooler, do you think that would help??

Just curious if anybody has ever ran into this before. I was at the track a few weeks ago,and after my last pass i popped the hood and i had a trail of power steering fluid on the hood,and of course slathered around by the belt. Filled it back up checked to make sure it wasnt leaking, and started on the 2.5hour trip home. Got most of the way there and no power steering, engine bay was a mess. Put more in at a gas station, drove home cleaned her up, ran it on the hoist for 20 min. Not a drop of fluid. Put a new pump and pressure line on anyway. Took it to the track last weekend. Checked it after every pass. All was good till the last pass. Then i noticed some fluid tossed around by the belt. Nothing major, but a small mess nonetheless.

It seems to only do it if i shift above 7k. I dont know if it is the pump,or the rack venting fluid, as it obviously doesnt have a leak under normal conditions. The pump does look dry. I didnt get it in the air yet, but from what i could see the rack looked dry as well. Rack is 2years old with probably less than 2k miles on it. The only things that are original are the resevoir,and the return hose.

I know this is strange, but has anybody ever had this issue before?? It really pisses me off to have a oily mess in the engine compartment. Of course it doesnt help that it is getting on the belt and throwing it everyplace. (which also makes it hard to believe it is the rack, getting it on the belt.) Any imput would be appriciated.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

gm ps pumps suck first off
They have an aftermarket pump Turn one I believe that works
If the fluid is burnt then get rid of the factory cooler and put a regular style one in and use syn fluid - that worked for me. You need to get a stronger cap and you can band a rag around the pump to keep the engine bay clean.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are shifting at 7K and especially if you are hot lapping it, you boiled the fluid and killed the front seal in the old pump. Very common occurence.

StripStar is correct ...

A Turn One pump will fix the problem. It is polished and re-worked to reduce flow so that it doesn't cook the fluid with a motor turing over 4K rpms for long preriods of time. The TO pump came from ASA Stock Car racing when the series had a spec LSx motor.

They aren't the ony source for reworked pumps. But they have a good reputation.

I have had very good luck with Redline PS fluid. Takes the heat very well.

The rag suggestion is a good one. I have have good luck with small hair scrunchies at the base of the cap. It looks a little better than a shop rag.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rpmauto
weird power steering issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I posted this in the drag section a while ago and got no responses.

Any imput would be appriciated.
drag racers dont know anything about steering. all they do is stab & steer.

stock LS1 pumps are a weak point. after one season of autoxing, my stock pump whined so loud, i could hear it over the exhaust while full throttle on a track. a real track, a road course. anyone wil headers and a LM will know how loud it is.....and yet i heard the pump over all that.

get either a turn one (i did) or get your stock pump reworked/revalved.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

well i will have to look into a turn one pump. Who sells them?? I dont have a cooler of any sort on it now. The factory one goes inline with the upper radiator hose, i just cant beleive that 180+ degree coolant will help keep the fluid that cool.

mitchntx, i have a daughter so hair scrunchies are all over the place at my house, do you put them under the rubber cap seal?? The funny thing is the resevoir looks to be dry. It has some residue on it, but not like fluid has been pouring out of it. Is that common??
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may need a replacement cap if the fluid is coming out the vent hole. You can get replacement caps at chain auto parts stores in the "HELP!" section.

I put one or 2 scrunchies around the lip of the tank and then install the cap. It appears to seat the rubber seal a little better ...

Lot of good data in this thread ...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...ring-pump.html

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Well, talked to Jeff at turn one this morning. Great guy to deal with. Didnt try to sell me a pump, tried to figure out what was goin on. I ended up ordering a pump anyway. I will let you know how it holds up after next weekend. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, power steering venting high rpm