Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arm fitment?

i am trying to install a UMI torque arm and the top mounting plate is hitting the floor and tunnel with the rear end loaded. also the arm is really close to the side of the tunnel towards the back of the car. trying to get the car back on the ground tommorow for a car show. please help! i think that i have the pinoin anlgle set correct here are some pics let me know what you think or if the UMI arm is suppost to fit this close. i can't remember if the old style one that was in the car fit this close. the rear end is centered in the wells

02 f-body
moser 12 bolt
non-adjustable LC.
400 trans-manual mount with 1" spacer on top of the mount
Attached Thumbnails torque arm fitment?-p1020803.jpg   torque arm fitment?-p1020804.jpg   torque arm fitment?-p1020805.jpg   torque arm fitment?-p1020807.jpg  

Last edited by darknight02; 09-04-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:13 PM

anybody? anything?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Since you are running a larger rear end the torque arm will sit closer to the tunnel like you are experiencing. The Moser 12-Bolt has a larger housing, the larger the housing gets the further it will push the torque arm to the drivers side and closer to the tunnel area.

Is the vehicle lowered? If so this makes the issue more noticeable.

Do you have an adjustable panhard bar on the car? An adjustable panhard bar allows you to center the rear end under the vehicle. Most likely the rear end is not centered and you should have some room to move it towards the passenger side... this would gain you clearance for the torque arm. If you don't have an adjustable panhard bar and the car is lowered it will sit extremely close to the tunnel since lowering the car can offset the rear end.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 PM

not lowered, stock panhard bar. the thing is, i don't think your old style bar was so close to the tunnel. when i measured the rear end it looks allmost centered give or take 1/8" .

let me know what you think, for now i just beat the tunnel in flat where it would have hit. seems to get on and off the trailer allright. will fix this week.

thanks joe.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Joe,

Yes making clearance in this area is the best solution. My personal car is stock height with a Strange S60 rear end.. I let the torque arm clearance the tunnel for me after a few good launches

The newer style torque arms use the same mounting bracket that mounts to the rear end as the old style.. just the arm itself was changed.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Quick Reply: torque arm fitment?