Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Organic vs. Ceramic vs. Metallic... What's the difference?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organic vs. Ceramic vs. Metallic... What's the difference?

I need new brakes. I'm going to buy the rotors from a fellow LS1tech member, but I need pads. Is there a big difference between the pads?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Teching In

ceramic= minimal brake dust. Great for ease of cleaning, less noise, and smoothest.
Semi-metallic= Medium brake dust. Highest resistance to heat. Noisy when warmed up.
Organic= Greatest brake dust. Medium resistance to heat, often noisy.

Almost all performance brake pads are semi-metallic, EBC, Hawk, etc. etc..

If this is for a car that's going to be seeing heavy braking such as track use etc., go with a performance aftermarket pad like listed about. NOT DURALASTS! Pads like that will have brake fad the second time down the track!

If this is a casual commuter car, but you want a decent pad, go with something like a Wagner (O'reilly auto parts, Bumper to Bumper) or (NAPA GOLD?) I beleive that's their highest pad, which is also well suited for an "average" car.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duralast pads are pieces of crap. Every time I went down the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino/Devore or came down from Lake Arrowhead or Big Bear, I almost **** my pants. The moment those pads start to heat up, their fade is ridiculous.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Teching In

There are 3 common friction material categories: Semi-mets, Low-mets, and NAO's (Non asbestos organics). Ceramic is really just a Marketing term. They are essentially NAO's. Low-mets are very common in Europe and will give you high output but are the dustiest. The 2010 Camaro SS and 2009 GXP have low-mets for example.

The majority of all new vehicles now use NAO's because of their low dust/noise properties. However, because they do not contain any steel (or very little) they are typically not used for high performance or heavy duty applications.

Semi-mets are not used as much by OEM's because NAO's can now offer similar stopping power with the added benefit of low noise/dust. However, some aftermarket companies may offer a semi-met option to replace a "ceramic" for the customer that is looking for better stopping power (i.e. towing). Semi-met pads have good fade resistance and output but tend to be noisier.

What I mentioned above generally applies to OEM friction materials. With aftermarket materials it is sometimes a crap shoot but you get the idea.

My advice would be to stick with the same type of material that was OEM and buy from a reputable company. If you want something different, each company will have an online catalog that will tell you what they recommend for your specific application.

Last edited by BlackGT5; 10-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Organic vs. Ceramic vs. Metallic... What's the difference?