Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I badly need shorter rear shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I badly need shorter rear shocks.

I have a custom true dual exhaust on my Camaro, and when you lift the car on a lift the driveshaft will hit the pipes. I want to limit the amount of rear end droop I get when its off the ground.

Stock shock measures 20.5" (full extension) from the middle of the lower eye to the chassis. I want a shock that measures about 19" (fully extended) instead.

What are my options here. What manufacturer might have a custom shock like what I need.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think trying to get shorter shocks to limit rear end travel is the way to go - why is your true dual set up interfering with the driveshaft?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I don't think trying to get shorter shocks to limit rear end travel is the way to go - why is your true dual set up interfering with the driveshaft?
Obviously the car was not designed to accomidate TD's. Its simply a custom clearance issue.

The shocks are what control the amount of rearend drop when the car is off the ground. I am confident a slightly shorter extending shock will fix this issue.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can send most any good shock to be shortened. My suggestion is Bilstein. Cheap enough for a good shock, and I know of many that have been shortened. Miata guys do this all the time.

Another option is to move the upper shock mount. You can drill out the hole, weld some brackets in the cup, screw on a rod end to the shock, and mount it. But, that's lots of work.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
You can send most any good shock to be shortened. My suggestion is Bilstein. Cheap enough for a good shock, and I know of many that have been shortened. Miata guys do this all the time.

Another option is to move the upper shock mount. You can drill out the hole, weld some brackets in the cup, screw on a rod end to the shock, and mount it. But, that's lots of work.
I took the stock shocks, removed the boots and hardware, chucked the shaft-end up in a drill press (cause I aint got a damn lathe) and used a carbide bit and a sliding vice (to hold the bit) to machine the shock shafts down an additional 3/4". Then cut 3/4" off the end o the shaft, thread the end down additional 3/4" and ground flat spots back on the tip for a tiny wrench. In fact my machined shaft to hardened washer clearances are now tighter than what was originally done for this new shock so I have nothing to fear. It took me less than 30 minutes to mod both shocks. BTW, no welding required.

This will allow the rearend to droop 3/4" less when lifted off the ground and I have zero worry of it afecting road conditions. May have to machine a little more, I have not installed them on the car yet.

I am confident I can ultimately do this with performance aftermarket shock somwtime in the future too.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I took the stock shocks, removed the boots and hardware, chucked the shaft-end up in a drill press (cause I aint got a damn lathe) and used a carbide bit and a sliding vice (to hold the bit) to machine the shock shafts down an additional 3/4". Then cut 3/4" off the end o the shaft, thread the end down additional 3/4" and ground flat spots back on the tip for a tiny wrench. In fact my machined shaft to hardened washer clearances are now tighter than what was originally done for this new shock so I have nothing to fear. It took me less than 30 minutes to mod both shocks. BTW, no welding required.

This will allow the rearend to droop 3/4" less when lifted off the ground and I have zero worry of it afecting road conditions. May have to machine a little more, I have not installed them on the car yet.

I am confident I can ultimately do this with performance aftermarket shock somwtime in the future too.
Now THAT'S what I like to see! He didn't have a proper lathe, so he made his own!!

That's exactly what a shock shop will do. They have a special machine for it, but it's the same thing.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

if just wanting to lmit the rearend travel and not the shock?
Could you install straps under the axle to accomplish this?
I used them on my 4x4,never thought about them on a car.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
if just wanting to lmit the rearend travel and not the shock?
Could you install straps under the axle to accomplish this?
I used them on my 4x4,never thought about them on a car.
Yeah - I've heard suggested quite a few times. It'd work fine, I think.

Something like a regular nylon strap (pictured below). Bolt it into place front and rear of the axle, and run it under the axle. I'd probably attach a tiny, but long, spring to the middle of it so that it'd stay up with the axle instead of hanging down.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah the straps will work but I was after a more polished and pleasing to the eye solution. The machining of the the shock shafts did the trick perfectly and have accomplishing the goal the way I expected. Plus it took very little time to really do.

I will post a pic of my drill press setup maybe tonight. It looks pretty cool.

Quick Reply: I badly need shorter rear shocks.