Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA's and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA's and autocross

Just got the relocation bracket for the LCA's since my car is lowered.. Right now they are sitting level with the ground, but would it be a little better if they were facing up or down towards the front?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
What we have experienced is just mount the control arm in the lowest setting. Doing so will allow the front of the control arm to be facing upward. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-26-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Brads right, adjust them so they are level or just a little bit high in the front would be the best for autocross.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

from what ive heard, for any kind of real handling, keep them as level as possible.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XxWICKEDSSxX
Just got the relocation bracket for the LCA's since my car is lowered.. Right now they are sitting level with the ground, but would it be a little better if they were facing up or down towards the front?
Hello, for autocrossing you want the arms to be level or on a slight upward angle from the rear to the body. For drag racing you will be better with more angle upward from the rearend. Each car is different so you will need to find out what works best for your situation. We are very good at helping you get your suspension set up. If you have any questions please give me a call. I am in the office until 5:30 pm est mon-fri.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't know... I don't want to say I disagree with the opinions here because the angle's effect on the rear end's roll induced pointing may be minimal. I haven't ever tested and tuned or had experience with this.

That being said... think about what is happening with the rear end when the car's chassis is under full body roll in a turn. The upward or downward angle can cause the rear end to point slightly away from the turn or toward it. If the chassis side of the arm is higher than the rear end (ideal for drag), then you approach more of a rear axle pointing away from the direction your turning under body roll in a turn. If the chassis side is lower than the axle side, the rear points toward the direction your turning under body roll. The first situation I believe will increase oversteer and the latter situation will decrease it.

What do you think you need more of in your car? I doubt any of us need more oversteer in a stock or lowered z28/SS for autocross situations. I haven't heard of too many competitive fbody drivers in autox who set their ctrl arms to the lowest hole on relo brackets.

Plus there's other things that come into effect that I've read about on ffrax, such as how the weight transfer works when you break. Depending on the control arm angle, your car could either want to dive or squat. Nothing that I can explain for sure.. lol
Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well not to many competitive F-body drivers set their control arm angles because in F-stock and ESP (the largest F-body class) relocation brackets are not legal. Here's the thing with the F-body suspension. Usually what helps the car hook in acceleration causes aweful brake hop under braking. i.e short torque arms help with the anti-squat which helps plant the rear end, but they brake hop like mad.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, for autocrossing you want the arms to be level or on a slight upward angle from the rear to the body. For drag racing you will be better with more angle upward from the rearend. Each car is different so you will need to find out what works best for your situation. We are very good at helping you get your suspension set up. If you have any questions please give me a call. I am in the office until 5:30 pm est mon-fri.
Really? Wow. Ever hear of roll oversteer? If not, read Bryan's post. He explained it pretty well. Sheesh.

To the OP and backing up what Eric posted, for autocross you want 'em level or pointed down towards the front. Obviously level would probably be better but we can't legally get there in Street Prepared. I've seldom noticed any issues when launching however. Probably because good shocks will take care of a lot of the bad manners with these cars.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

The best point made since the OP mentioned autox is that the LCA relocation is not street prepared legal or stock legal.

If your just autoxing for fun in SM or higher, who cares about what hole the LCAs are in? Just rip up your tires and have a good time
Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

If you want help on an autocrossing type setup--I'd suggest talking to someone who does it, like me.

I don't run LCA brackets, and in fact even on cars that have them (maybe a dual purpose car). I will readjust them for cornering vs. launching. Tail down isn't what I would want, since the car has roll steer, and in that position the result is roll oversteer.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

he never said he was running in anything with SCCA rules.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

He didn't, you are correct. Two points however.

1: SCCA is the most common sanctioning body for autox you'll find.

2: Suspension geometry doesn't care, and roll steer happens no matter what the rules are.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I have mine set on the top hole of the brackets , BTW when I installed my arms I had to make one arm shorter than the other in order to fit it was a PITA! , but I thought both arms were to be set at stock length right ??
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you want help on an autocrossing type setup--I'd suggest talking to someone who does it, like me.

I don't run LCA brackets, and in fact even on cars that have them (maybe a dual purpose car). I will readjust them for cornering vs. launching. Tail down isn't what I would want, since the car has roll steer, and in that position the result is roll oversteer.
So you wouldn't suggest them even if the car is lowered with Strano springs? How would you readjust them for cornering vs launching? What about regular daily street driving?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That would depend on whether or not you *NEED* them. And when I say need them, that's what I mean. If the car isn't doing anything that would dictate adding them, then honestly, why bother?

Want or need more straight line bite? You'll likely want them, and in a lower position. But the trade-off is that the back of the car isn't as stable when driven hard and more prone to oversteer.

Do I think every car needs brackets? Hell no. Do I think no car ever has a need for them? Hell no again. Depends on the situation and how the car is used/what you need from it/how it's working to start with. I fix what's wrong, I don't chuck parts at a car.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That would depend on whether or not you *NEED* them. And when I say need them, that's what I mean. If the car isn't doing anything that would dictate adding them, then honestly, why bother?

Want or need more straight line bite? You'll likely want them, and in a lower position. But the trade-off is that the back of the car isn't as stable when driven hard and more prone to oversteer.

Do I think every car needs brackets? Hell no. Do I think no car ever has a need for them? Hell no again. Depends on the situation and how the car is used/what you need from it/how it's working to start with. I fix what's wrong, I don't chuck parts at a car.
I personally wouldn't be able to tell which way my LCAs are pointing by driving around. I wouldn't know whether their angle is affecting anything. Not enough experience with different LCA angle combinations and at the same time pushing the car to its limits to see which nets the best result. So I'm wondering what's the ideal angle according to you. Is it level for cornering and pointing down in the rear for drag racing? If lowering makes them point up in the rear, would you want to make them level again or leave them as is if driving seems fine? Thanks Sam.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Level, or even slightly tail up.

I have no brackets and I'm lowered... just the way I want it. If you slam the height, you might want to run brackets to run some angle, but not as much as say a 2" drop would give you without brackets. Again, depends on the use. Level is fine if you are trying to maintain the best traction and rear stability. Tail up gives up a little traction for more stability.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Good to know. Thanks.

Quick Reply: LCA's and autocross