Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Making my 84 camaro z28 handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my 84 camaro z28 handle

Hi ls1 tech guys,

I want to make my 84 Camaro Z28 handle on the track and launch at the 1/4 mile and my plan is to get,

• Rear Control Arms
• Panhard Bar
• Strut Tower Brace
• Subframe Connectors
• Sway Bars
• Torque Arm
• Shocks
• Springs
• Complete polyurethane bushing kit

But the problem I’m having is deciding on what manufactures/companies to use, and I don’t what the Camaro to sit much lower than the stock height
Can any one help?

Last edited by CCCustoms; 10-28-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CCCustoms
Hi ls1 tech guys,

I want to make my 84 Camaro Z28 handle and my plan is to get,

• Rear Control Arms
• Panhard Bar
• Strut Tower Brace
• Subframe Connectors
• Sway Bars
• Torque Arm
• Shocks
• Springs
• Complete polyurethane bushing kit

But the problem I’m having is deciding on what manufactures/companies to use, and I don’t what the Camaro to sit much lower than the stock height
Can any one help?

Allow me to help:

The Struts and shocks need go to the top of your list. A "complete" urethane bushing kit isn't needed, the front only. Because if/when you change rear LCA's they'll have new bushings and/or rod-ends with them.

A Torque arm is not a handling item. Not a terrible idea as the stock ones are weak, but are more about traction and wheelhop than any handling gain.

Springs.... Frankly late Z28 springs rock and will sit you at a stock height. There are lots of lowering springs, and I carry most--but stock springs work very well.

Swaybar. Again lots of choices but here I'd actually try and combine a later stock solid 34mm front (or better the hollow 36mm front) with one of the Strano hollow 22mm rear bars.

SFC's are a great idea on a 3rd gen. As is a STB.

I can help you with all those items and more. I have a variety of PHB's, and you might instead consider a Watts link which is way better on the geometry side. I don't do all parts from any one source. There are differences in how various parts work, and what we want them to do.

I've got you covered on the parts you need, and have lots of options. For instance on the shocks.... I carry Koni, Bilstein, Tokico, KYB, Edelbrock and a few others. I have springs from a number of companies. I carry swaybars from a number of companies, plus have my own (including an adjustable rear bar as well).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-28-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad this was posted up.

Sam, if you were redoing the front end of an 82-92, would you immediately switch over to Coilovers or keep the strut/spring combo?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Depends on the reason. Generally I'd just stay with a stock arrangement.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Making my 84 camaro z28 handle