Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help, Car pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, Car pulling to the right

ok. so i have a 1998 trans am, the car pulls to the right. I assumed me or the previous owner had hit a pothole at some point with the car, and it was out of alignment. well after coming from the alignment shop today the car STILL pulls to the right.

What could it be. I have a lift, which i'll get the car up on to check probabally tomorrow morning.

as for the problem it's a slight pull but if you take your hand off the wheel even when just coasting. it pulls to the right. when braking it SEEMS worse. maybe because of the weight transfer. 2 fingers on the steering wheel will keep it in line when just cruising so it's not really bad. but very annoying.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure its not the crown from the road? (It will make all cars pull right.) Have you seen what happens when driving on the left side of a driveway/road or in a parking lot?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

if you brought it to a real shop they would have checked it for any broken or bent parts. ALso they would have checked the tire that hit the pothole for any broken belts, but if they didnt you will need to check ur own tire for broken belts and then underside as well.. But try driving on a different road and set the wheel straight and let go of it, it should stray straight if not then go from there.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The first and most simple thing to check is the tire pressure. Low pressure on the passenger side, especially the front will cause the condition you are describing!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

OK, a bit of an update,

Tire pressure was checked before i did any of this.

I drove on different roads, ( all of which don't pull any of my other vehicles in any direction.

I didn't specifically hit any pot holes. that i recal being bad.

I did fina a bad spot in the front tire, I'll throw another one on there and see that helps. ( i have a spare set with wheels)
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K WS6
I drove on different roads, ( all of which don't pull any of my other vehicles in any direction.
FYI - You shouldn't draw a conclusion that other cars have anything else to do with your F-Body. The alignment setups are different as well as the suspension geometry. One car may be more susceptible to the crown in the road than another.

If you drive around in a parking lot or in an area where the crown goes to the left, that will tell you a lot.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

im in the same position as you except every so often i will hit a bump or something and my car will all of a sudden throw me to the left. then when i correct it will start pulling right again. i jacked up each side, shook the tires, and everything is good and tight. but i then turned the (idk what you would call it) but the shafts connecting the steering wheel to the rack and pinion and i could twist a bit without any tire movement so idk if thats normal or if the rack and pinion is getting bad....if that can happen?

Quick Reply: Help, Car pulling to the right