Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

did i screw up my PS rack?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default did i screw up my PS rack?

I've got this weird feeling in the steering that won't go away. i thought it needed to be bled, so i bled it per the GM manual. it didn't make an improvement.

The only thing that I did was when I was putting on the suspension, with steering disconnected, i moved the front wheels left and right when it was off the ground while i was trying to get the suspension lined up. I didn't think anything of it, but wonder if I've introduced air into the system that can't be bled conventionally?

Any suggestions here or did my rack just suddenly fail? I'm trying to find the right description for the sensation. the rack has power and works fine going straight. in turns, i get resistance ( like some binding, but then the feeling at the steering wheel is empty and then it comes back to center fine). It almost feels like a tooth is broken on a gear where it jumps over it and then it's fine but has a hard time engaging. I don't get that same empty feeling turning the wheel full lock to lock when the car is stationary. That's about the best i can explain it. Here are my last alignment settings and I checked for the obvious, nothing is binding and it drove fine up until the point i did that push left and right with the steering column disconnected.

Front Left:
camber: -.3
Caster: 5.2
Toe: .03

Front Right:
camber: -.1
caster:5.0
Toe:.06

Front:
cross camber: -.3
cross caster: .1
Total Toe: .09