Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Track Bar Question

Old 11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Bar Question

Sorry my first post has to be a request for help. If this is not the correct place to post this, please let me know.

I'm working on a wrecked 99 Firebird and have found what I think is a bent track bar. The car is sitting slightly low in the left rear and it appears the tire has been rubbing some in the left rear wheel well. Can someone confirm that the bent bar in the picture is called the Track Bar. Just need to know I'm ordering the correct part. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That is the pan-hard bar.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

I would also pull that upper pan-hard rod support and look it over too. It could be bent also.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I would also pull that upper pan-hard rod support and look it over too. It could be bent also.
Thanks for the info and help. I'm not really sure how that thing was bent since the wreck was mostly in the front end. I'm assuming it was done when the car went off road during the wreck.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

No problem, at least a PHB is pretty cheap if you don't get it from the dealership!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevMetric
Thanks for the info and help. I'm not really sure how that thing was bent since the wreck was mostly in the front end. I'm assuming it was done when the car went off road during the wreck.
Yep. That PHB bending like that can be expected with a stock design or one similar to that. Even though it doesn't seem too desirable, if the axle (left wheel side is where the PHB attaches to the axle) experiences enough force in the appropriate direction, then the stock PHB could effectively buckle resulting in possibly saving additional damage to the body mount (right body side where the PHB attaches to the car's body). When this happens, usually the bushings remain connected, which hopefully prevents too much loss of vehicle control during motion. If it didn't do that, more serious damage could've resulted (e.g. damaged PHB body mount and in some cases, bent axle and/or an even more disastrous accident).

That's about the only advantage I see in stock PHBs.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep like mentioned that is a panhard bar, also known as a track bar.

We offer an aftermarket replacement for $74.99 seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2020

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Many thanks to everyone for the help, and for taking the time to explain things. I have a lot of experience in building car and motorcycle engines, but this is my first venture into the suspension. I'll be ordering one of the UMI replacements. I still haven't decided on the solid or adjustable version yet. I don't plan to lower or add anything other than stock suspension parts or OEM wheels, so the non-adjustable would probably work. But then again, having built-in adjustability is always a good thing.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread