Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Put new springs in and ride height is pretty much the same! Something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Put new springs in and ride height is pretty much the same! Something wrong?

My car sits really high and I dont know why. I even put DMS springs and it didnt help. Anyone know whats holding my car up in the air or do these springs take some major breaking in. Here are a few pics of what I have. Also all suspension is brand new.

Before with stock springs (Excuse my redneck jack stands please)

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

After Springs... Not much difference!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Control arm with full weight on it
[IMG][/IMG]

Notice different angle of panhard compared to previous. Only noticable difference
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-08-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'd get the car on the ground, and a couple of miles on it to let things "settle", before you really make any measurements.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

I think I'd get the car on the ground, and a couple of miles on it to let things "settle", before you really make any measurements.
Well thats part of the reason for the post. Is it gonna be ok to drive? Didnt know if it was just because the new bushings from all the new suspension and the new springs or if something was bound up or just not adjusted right.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not much of a difference, but it does look lower than before to me. maybe a half an inch, it's hard to tell by your pics but i can see a change.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Springs take some time to settle.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

yea but if you look in the sticky at the before and after spring setups mine isnt even close. 4" off the tire and thats with the isolators out
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

the springs might not be sitting correctly on the upper mounts. when i did my swap, i put thecar on the ground and i could hear the upper isolators slipping on the metal upper mounts. the isolator wasnt seated/centered on the rounded upper mount. try supporting the rear frame with jackstands and jacking up the diff till the springs barely contact the chassis then get under there and line things up. hope it works out
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

the springs might not be sitting correctly on the upper mounts. when i did my swap, i put thecar on the ground and i could hear the upper isolators slipping on the metal upper mounts. the isolator wasnt seated/centered on the rounded upper mount. try supporting the rear frame with jackstands and jacking up the diff till the springs barely contact the chassis then get under there and line things up. hope it works out
Again... No isolators. This is with the hose mod on rear springs.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kkslds
Again... No isolators. This is with the hose mod on rear springs.

uhh ok...that doesnt change anything. the spring (by watever means) may not be seated correctly
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

uhh ok...that doesnt change anything. the spring (by watever means) may not be seated correctly
uhh ok... I reread your post and didnt realize you were talking about your situation with the isolators. Anyways thats not the case. I've double checked everything. Thanks though
Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that car is jacked up before AND after... Weird.

Any major weight reductions?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Damn that car is jacked up before AND after... Weird.

Any major weight reductions?
No weight reduction period. Its full weight and then some.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
Well thats part of the reason for the post. Is it gonna be ok to drive? Didnt know if it was just because the new bushings from all the new suspension and the new springs or if something was bound up or just not adjusted right.
Speaking of bushings, if you replaced all of them, but tightened up their bolts with the suspension "unloaded", that might be causing part of your problem. The bushing bolts have to be tightened with the car at ride height, otherwise, they'll bind up.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Speaking of bushings, if you replaced all of them, but tightened up their bolts with the suspension "unloaded", that might be causing part of your problem. The bushing bolts have to be tightened with the car at ride height, otherwise, they'll bind up.

yea when I installed everything I put it all in and set the car down on ramps before i tightened it. I put 1 pump of grease in everything. The only thing I didnt do is put grease on the outside of the bushing cause I had the packet sitting on the ground and a buddy stepped on it. So I have this new shoe like sound. Other than that I installed everything to a T on the directions.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Wow... It looks like some of the cars Ive seen w/ drag launch springs! If they were LT springs on an LS car, that might make the front a lil high but prob not the back.. It really looks like something isn't right. I don't think my panhard, or any Ive seen, are that close to parrallel w/ the ground. But IDK, I vote for some slow backing down the drive way, then around the block(both careful and cautious), then try putting some break in miles on the springs....
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know what else to say... But wow, for a "lowered car" that thing is sky high (even for stock)... and I've seen some "lifted" looking f-bodies before.

I hope you figure it out, OP.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I would take if for a spin around the block or put a few miles on it first before doing anything as long as everything is button up.!! Let me give you an example: I took off my buddies pab bracket on his vette in the front and I put everything back it place and it look like it was 4x4 mod.. LOL anyways After I put things back together and he took it around the block everything settled back down. I guess just by taking off the pab bracket it doesn't let the suspension level back down.. Who would of kno?? Where I'm getting at is take it for a spin and see if it levels back... Also did you put the right springs in the back?? sure you didn't swap out the front ones for the back??
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you look at the lower shock mount bolt it looks like it's at a odd angle, like the shocks are supporting the weight of the car.
Maybe shocks are froze up?

Control arm with full weight on it
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would also think it could be bad shocks. Correct me if Im wrong, but doesn't that Moser rearend also make the car sit higher?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you look at the lower shock mount bolt it looks like it's at a odd angle, like the shocks are supporting the weight of the car.
Maybe shocks are froze up?
Im thinking that too. That bolt should be straight and not kinked up like that. Are the springs really easy to take in and out?

Quick Reply: Put new springs in and ride height is pretty much the same! Something wrong?