Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone had Strano tuned Bilsteins AND Koni's- to compare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone had Strano tuned Bilsteins AND Koni's- to compare?

I'm looking for a VERY comfortable ride quality without utilizing stock springs and having that 4x4 look ride height. From what I've read, it looks like the best ride is going to come from stock springs and the retuned Bilsteins from Strano or the Koni SA's. But like I said, I can't deal with the stock springs ride height.

I currently have Koni SA's in the front and stock Decarbons in the rear with stock springs that I cut. I didn't slam it; I lowered it the same as a pro-kit, about 1.5 to 1.75 inches. The ride makes my teeth chatter over bumps. It isn't firm, it's harsh! It slams over bumps almost like it's hitting the bumpstops. I tried lowering my air pressure down to 30lbs front and back and I turned the Koni's down to 3 clicks from full soft and it's still pretty rough imho. I've been in worse cars though (prokit and worn out decarbons). I'm looking for a comfortable ride that is going to absorb bumps. I'm totally fine with a taller ride height, just not factory ride height. And I'm also fine with losing handling. I don't want a boat but I don't need the car to take corners at light speeds. I'm more in it for the straight line fun of it, not the twisties. That being said, I also need a set-up that is going to be safe at high speeds 140+. I don't see it alot but just in case....

Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock (uncut) springs.
Koni's lower perch in front.
Koni's with hose mod in rear.
replace the rear SS bumpstops with Z28 bumpstops.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you SStolen. I retired the old stock springs about a month ago and put on some LT1 prokit springs on the front that I had left over from my last car, and threw some Hypercoil rear springs on it. Love the stance, but since the front end has the extra weight from the turbo kit, it sits too low and its dragging everywhere. I had some SLP bilsteins on my old '99 z28 a few years ago with DMS springs, and loved the ride. I'm probably gonna retire these KYBs soon and try some of the bilsteins out. I'll probably talk to Strano himself and see what he recommends considering the added weight to the front of the car (either SLP or his version of the bilsteins). I'm sure the Konis are nice pieces though, just a lil too stiff for my liking in daily driver/street use.

Last edited by Photochop; 11-18-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A few points here: For LESS than a set of Bilstein's, you can just get the rear Koni's and finish off the dampers.

You can turn the shocks up and down all day long, but cut springs ride like crap, and the shocks--good as they are, can't cure a screwy spring setup. You also haven't tried all the range of adjustment on the fronts *AND* the rear shocks have a ton to do with the ride.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The front shocks aren't the issue (assuming they aren't broken), the cut springs and the rear shocks are.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam, if stock springs and Koni's are a 10 as far as ride quality, how much would your Strano springs bring it down (sounds like I just said scoobie snacks)?

I realize that good ride quality and lowering springs don't belong in the same sentence but I understand that you tried to improve handling and the stance while keeping some quality in the ride.

Also, what kind of 60ft's have people seen with your springs? You plan on running any holiday specials this x-mas??? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStolen
Sam, if stock springs and Koni's are a 10 as far as ride quality, how much would your Strano springs bring it down (sounds like I just said scoobie snacks)?

I realize that good ride quality and lowering springs don't belong in the same sentence but I understand that you tried to improve handling and the stance while keeping some quality in the ride.

Also, what kind of 60ft's have people seen with your springs? You plan on running any holiday specials this x-mas??? Thanks.
I can answer that. I did Konis on stock springs and then switched over to Sam's springs.

If ride quality is your concern by ALL means stay on stock springs. If you want it a little lower go w/ the lower perch mod, rear hose mod, and throw a set of Sam's hollow bars on the car.

I would rate the ride quality a 6 w/ the Strano Springs given a 10 for stock springs. You lose a bit of ride quality, because it is stiffer and you have less travel.

Now let me say this, it doesn't ride bad but over broken pavement you will know it. For a lowered car the ride quality is good, compared to stock springs there is a tradeoff.

BTW it handles like a badass w/ the springs. It sticks like glue....although I did like the handling w/ just Konis as well. Konis are definitely the major difference maker.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Sam, if stock springs and Koni's are a 10 as far as ride quality ...
Stock springs and Koni's are not a 10 for ride ... more like about 6 or 7. Bilsteins on stock springs are 10. I went from Bilsteins on the front to Konis on the lower perch and impact harshness drastically increased. After adjusting them to where you have them (3 clicks from full soft) and getting some miles on them, the ride improved, but nowhere near the Bilsteins.

Your problem is that you cut the stock springs way too much. Any more than 1" is overkill. After my experience with Konis, on my M6 car I cut one coil off the front and installed Bilsteins. The ride was superior to Koni/lower perch on my A4 car.

Given all that, though, I agree with Sam. Since you already have the Konis, get a set of stock springs. Install them on the lower perch on the front and leave the setting where you have it. Get a pair of Konis for the rear, leave them at full soft, and install the uncut springs with the heater hose mod. You won't have the ultra-cool lowered look, but it won't be 4x4 either, and you'll thank yourself every time you get in and drive.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can't quantify ride, it's just so hard to do. Like trying to argue with someone about two beautiful women and which one is "better looking".

As far as lowering springs go, mine ride among the best--all else like the shocks, being equal. But they are lowering springs, they are lower and they are stiffer.

I completely agree that if the goal is a touch lower, with the best possible ride quality and handling that you should stay on stock springs, run a set of really good swaybars (like mine) and the Koni's (to get killer damping and the lower perch height). If you want to slant even more toward ride, then run the Koni's on the upper perch and don't lower it at all. And if you are willing to sacrifice some damping control, where the car will feel less taut, then do Bilstein's on stock springs--but still with swaybars.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Sam, are the Strano spec rear Bilsteins currently available?
Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not at this time..... Waiting for more to arrive, but have no ETA.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what are the Strano spec rear Bilsteins and how r the different from the regular rear Bilsteins ?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

About 3 years ago, Bilstein changed the vavling on the rear shocks. The added compression damping and took rebound away. deCarbon's had more compression and less rebound damping than the then current HD's. For some reason Bilstein altered the valving after years to be more similar to an SS deCarbon (which is better than a Z28 version).

I, found this out, tried the 'new' shock... felt that I liked an older valving better. I can still get it from time to time... It's an HD valving that has more rebound and not as much compression and was used for years on F-bodies. Not like I just made it up.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend and I both have 2000 t/a's.We both have Koni sa 4/3's on our cars.I have stock springs with the lower perch /heater hose mod.He has Strano lowering springs.My car rides smoother than his.My buddies car is a little stiffer in ride quality.When he hits the bumpsand pot holes you feel it a little more.It's not uncomfortable but is a little hard for my tastes.We live in Southern California and the roads are pure **** here.When the road surface is smooth the lowered car is ok.But get his car on choppy roads it tends to ride a little rough.
It's all a matter of taste.One person may love lowering springs and another may hate it.I must say That Strano spring are the best as far as lowering springs go.I myself prefer the stock springs.I do love the Koni's and prefer them over the bilsteins.Also a matter of taste.I think my car handles best with the Koni's.Just mt 2 cents worth here.Get the rear koni's and do the lower perch/heater hose mod with stock springs and call it a day.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I have read that my stock 98 SS springs are different then later stock springs. How are they different? Height? Firmness? How do my 98 SS springs compare to Strano springs?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've not seen anything I can call 100% solid proof, but it's pretty widely regarded that SS's and WS6's up until sometime in 2000 (early, late, not sure) used 1LE springs. I have seen SS's that were NOT 1LE car with those springs so I know that it's true, just don't know when it ended for sure.

Stock springs are about 292 front, 115-ish rear. 1LE's are stock height (actually sometimes a touch taller) and 360 front, 130-180 rear. My springs are 550 front, 150 rear and the approximate 1.2" lower than either of those.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I put 1LE suspension on my previous fbody and it was night and day better. I was mad at myself for not doing it day 1. I would try 1LE springs in the front for those not wanting to go all out with 550lb springs but still want a better handling car. Too bad they don't lower, but you could do the lower perch thing with Konis. I thought 360lbs springs were great with absolutely no extra harshness felt and it got rid of the nose dive on hard braking and all the sway was completely gone. I had 1LE springs/shocks/sways. I have not tried 550lb springs yet, but probably in the Spring once the snow melts I'll give it a try. I hope I like it cause I need the car lowered. There is too much wheel gap for my taste. Too bad there isn't a softer lowering spring, but maybe that's not possible.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Glad to hear The Bilsteins are good. I plan to buy some new shocks over the winter as my stock ones currently have 115k on them. The ride could really use some sprucing up.

I don't plan on getting lowering springs. I always figured you just get bigger wheels/tires to make up for it.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I replaced my rear 4th gen Bilsteins with 3rd gen Koni monotubes and prefer the Koni's extra damping control. They aren't harsh.

Quick Reply: Anyone had Strano tuned Bilsteins AND Koni's- to compare?