Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chrome Moly Benefits

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrome Moly Benefits

My question is plain and simple. Is chrome moly for suspension parts worth the price over mild steel? I'm looking to purchase a UMI adjustable torque arm for my '02 T/A and it costs $85 more for the chrome moly version. Is this version truly lighter? And is the weight reduction worth it and the "added strength"? Also, will the mild steel eventually rust while the chrome moly wont?

Thanks for any input guys.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBirds
My question is plain and simple. Is chrome moly for suspension parts worth the price over mild steel? I'm looking to purchase a UMI adjustable torque arm for my '02 T/A and it costs $85 more for the chrome moly version. Is this version truly lighter? And is the weight reduction worth it and the "added strength"? Also, will the mild steel eventually rust while the chrome moly wont?

Thanks for any input guys.
My understanding is chrome moly is softer, quieter and street friendly where as mild steel is stiffer, noisier, and has very little deflection(<----I think that's the right word) under load
Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Chrome-Moly is stronger than the same thickness of mild steel, so a thinner wall thickness can be used for the same strength. The main benefit is saving weight. If you feel that every little once of weight savings is a must, then it's worth it, otherwise get the mild steel and save the $85.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that it'll be important for your TA... but for LCAs, the chrome moly tubing is usually 1.25 VS 1.625.

So you gain about an 1/8" clearance for your tire
Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance! The difference between chrome moly and mild steel is not only the weight savings but also tinsel strength. If you are looking for weight savings chrome moly is the way to go. If you are just looking to upgrade for street use mild steel will be just fine. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Chrome Moly Benefits