Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tell me these aren't Koni fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tell me these aren't Koni fronts?

I just found some shocks on ebay listed as Bilstein that appear to be Koni SAs. So with these and some of the better valved rear bilsteins, I just got a decent setup for $140 with these hidden ebay gems. I wonder what kind of springs are on there...?

//KONIs for 75 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=310187217478

//Bilstein rears for 65 shipped
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Hope the mismatch isn't too bad with the Koni / Bilstein and hope the Koni's are in serviceable condition. How'd i do???
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sure look like Koni SA fronts...if they are good, you got a great deal.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

looks like koni, but bilsteins are yellow also. if its from a pick-a-part place, im fairly sure theyd know the difference between the two. if it was a misprint, then you made out great. even for bilsteins, thats a good price. depending on the mileage, that is.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I'm almost sure they're Koni, the black boot and the metal end cap look like koni. Bilstein look different. I hope they're good, fingers crossed... Do you think the springs are stock, or maybe pro-kits? Thanks for the feedback...
Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In one of the pics you can see the adjustment slot in the top metal part of the shock, sure do look like Koni shocks. Good find
Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Yeah, can wait to see if they're not blown. I got lucky with the Bilstein rears too, they had them listed bad with only the part number. They are supposed to be display ones, never mounted. Hopefully the nuts and such from the decarbons are same the same thread.

Been getting alot done with the car, new steering pump, plugs and wires, alignment, and tires. So long with selling the car, runs way better with the plugs and doesn't pull on the freeway anymore after the second alignment.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

konis are the only shock that has the lower perch ring, like the ones pictured.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

As long as everything is legit...Nice pick up!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks, will post more once they show up. Hope that Strano's "last for 10 yrs" statements are worthy... Cant' wait to get them on, if they are lowering springs, will do the hose mod on the rear. Won't even have to compress the springs to get them on. Should be a couple hr job front and rear... Counting the coils, i think they that are not stock springs, about 1 coil to few...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

no way of knowing what the springs are. or what the rate is, until you get them and possibly have them tested. if not, just buy new springs. theyre not that expensive.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Teching In

BTW, here is a good deal on some NOS DA Konis (missing some hardware buta good deal, was bin for 269):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3D10%26ps%3D63
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by georgewa
Thanks, will post more once they show up. Hope that Strano's "last for 10 yrs" statements are worthy...
That is intended for new shocks...there is no telling if these are still good or if they have been abused. Hopefully, they are good. But my question would be, why were they taken off....and with the mounts too? And yes, those are Koni SAs.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Hopefully they were taken off a car that was rear ended, or simply a blown motor. The place appears to be a late model salvage yard in Ohio. They used to be a sponsor on this forum...
Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Well, just got them mounted up yesterday. Ended up leaving the springs on the fronts, they are stock springs (compared the gauge etc), sits the same as it did with the stock shocks. As for performance, definitely feels more planted, only one 15 mile trip to work today so far. Wish I would have took the time to put them on the lower perch, have spring compressors too. But it was raining off and on, and wanted to get it finished. We were able get them off without splitting the ball joints in the front. Isn't too bad once you get through it once.

May have to pull them off again to do the perch/hose mod, but really, the car doesn't sit high like some I've seen, maybe the SS with the 1LE are the ones that seem higher. Or the later years have stronger springs (this is a 98Z, the ebay specials came off a 99Z). Looks fairly even wheel well wise, I'll see about getting some pictures up. Guess we should have pulled the springs off to confirm they are in good working order, but they looked good, and hey, looks like they came out of a car that was wrecked in the RH rear, because they had only one rear shock posted (LH rear), bet the other was dusted from an accident. They feel great, just need to lower the tire pressure a bit, think they is a touch over 40 in them. For the naked rears, went to Kragen and got some rancho shock boots, fit fine. Luckily the threads are the same, so i was able to use the stock hardware (didn't come with any). The rears are brand new for sure, feel great when compressing them. There is noticeably more rebound and compression compared to the stock decarbons. Surprisingly, the decarbons seem okay, not blown, but you can hear the oil moving around when compressing them.

Hey for $140, got a very decent setup.... Next some interior fixes, a decent shifter, and get a new LUK clutch (with a new slave/mc) that's been waiting to go in, in there...

Quick Reply: Tell me these aren't Koni fronts?