Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need new suspension all around help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need new suspension all around help

I got a 98 ta how is the Stock suspension in the trans ams? I don't kno my cars make sqeeks and rattles when I go over bumps theres a lot of body roll and soon get sideways car seems like it wants to go everywhere I want a tight nice suspension what u guys think I can start off with?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

How is the stock suspension setup? Not very well. Add 11 years of use to it and things don't get any better.

Shocks are most critical. Maybe lowering springs (up to you, can handle very well without them too), Swaybars are a huge help. Start with those items--the big 3 so to speak and you won't believe you are in the same car. Hell, the shocks will transform it as long as you use something good, and something that is a good match to whatever springs you decide upon (even if that means stock).

I'd be happy to help you on this, it is my job and I have more variety of parts than most vendors can offer too.

The shocks effect how the car deals with bumps, and will make impacts hurt and make squeaks and rattles worse. You might consider SFC's, to tighten the body up, but in no way will that trump some good shocks and the better damping they bring. The shocks also control the roll rate of the car. Not how much it rolls, but how fast. Slow it down, get it less floppy and folks think it rolls less. If you want to cut actual roll, that's best done with swaybars first, springs second.

If you opt to lower the car you should step up further on shocks than you would need to with stock springs. And you'd also want to get an adjustable PHB as well. But again, you don't NEED to lower it to make a really, really good handling car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shocks, subframe connectors, and lower control arms and you will notice a big difference in your ride
Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I noticed that you are looking to upgrade your suspension! And I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers a variety of parts that may met your needs. Like mentioned above SFC's will make the car feel completely different by making it feel more solid and also keeps the dimples of the quarter panels. And If you decide that you are going to lower the vehicle I would highly suggest going with a adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to recenter the rear due to it shifting when lowered. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...jn1k213p1k6ea0

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: I need new suspension all around help