Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Squeeking noise coming from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeking noise coming from the rear

Hey guys. I'm having an issue with a 2002 Camaro SS I just purchased. It's a noise coming from the rear, similar to a squeeking noise. It especially happens when I go over a speed bump, makes for like a "squeek-squeek-squeek" and then it stops. I also noticed the rear end of the car seems a little loose and shaky especially when i'm changing lanes at freeway speeds. Any idea what this could be? Maybe just bad bushings possibly? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

possibly a loose lower control arm or panhard bar bolt, snapped swaybar endlink, or maybe just worn out bushings. don't know why it would squeak, but it would explain the loose feel in the rear.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I'll inspect the LCA and order a bushing kit today and take it from there.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

just don't use poly on both sides of em. and tighten everything before you go ordering parts hahah.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like i got the same problem, but i just don't want to go through anymore bullshit. i've had the rear checked, tightened, aligned, and it still seems too loose to me. so i'm about to go the whole package sfc's,lcs's, phb, tqa, coilovers and that should definetly solve the problem. unless somebody could come up with the solution or knows a good suspension person in los angeles, ca
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
I would suggest looking into the condition of the LCA and Pan Hard Bars bushings. I would be willing to bet that they are shot and that's were the squeaking is coming from. I would suggest when you look into a upgrade go with poly bushings. That is why we offer our components with grease fittings. Below is a example of what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...caaeaoqun1f6n5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

All good suggestions, but i thought id throw in there... when i first got my camaro i had a real soft but high pitched squeak and it turned out to be the exhaust rubber hangers maybe check those out as well spray some wd-40 on them just a idea. good luck chasing the squeak.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

could be a thousand things... i had a squeek in the rear of mine for months turned out it was the rubber bushing that went through the body for the antenna moving around when i hit small bumps and stuff i found it on accident when i was moving the spare tire out (also mounted to the same place) and it made the squeek again....
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the exact problem you are describing. The problem went away when I got some new LCA's and replaced the stock sway bar endlinks with poly ones. If your car is a DD, getting some poly/poly ends are enough for you. Just keep everything greased up and she will be all quieted down.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

i think you're too used to that zr1 lol
Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

im having a "squeek-squeek-squeek" from the rear passinger side brake (i just bought a junkyard 10 bolts) im pointing at my axle now, waiting till monday to pull it apart.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a bad squeak from my rear and like to never found it , but i finally did, It was coming from the upper rear shock tower, The bushing on the shock was wore out and the washer that hold the bushing was rubbing the body
Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, i pulled the axles out today and had them repaired, and now the "squeek-squeek-squeek" is gone.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, as somebody mentioned, it easily could be 100 different things.....Just don't start throwing money and parts at the car, try to find the cause, or you could go broke, crazy, or both.

Mine started with a strange squeek a couple of weeks before I put it away for winter. I checked everything over for obvious loose bolts and found nothing. However, when looking around again inder the car a couple of days ago, my shoulder bumped the tailpipe/muffler, and I heard what seemed to be a familiar squeek. I took the muffler hangar off, cleaned it up, applied a little lube on it, and the tab on the pipe, put it back on and shook the pipe/muffler pretty good....no noise!

After hearing what "Blades11b" said about the antenna bushing, I plan to check that too, as the noise I'm hearing is in that area. With the wind pushing against the antenna for 14 years, it wouldn't surprise me if it had loosened....

Quick Reply: Squeeking noise coming from the rear