Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Springs on QA1's

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Springs on QA1's

Will Strano Springs work on QA1's F-series single adjustable shocks? Curious because there are no options for rear springs when you purchase the QA1 front springs. What rear springs do you run? Stock?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

QA1's don't control stock springs very well, they really have no prayer of doing a good job with lowering springs. You should ask anyone who's had them. I've replaced a lot of QA1's over the years because folks couldn't stand how they drove and rode even with stock springs. Only gets worse with stiffer springs......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try doing the "Hose mod" (.75" drop) with the stock rear springs.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

hose mod will get you 1/2" drop realistically.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not concerned with the lowering I am looking for something that will work well together besides Koni's and Strano's
Old 12-25-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mook99ta
not concerned with the lowering I am looking for something that will work well together besides Koni's and Strano's
Work well together for what? Ride? Handling? Launching? If your not specific in what you are looking for then you wont get specific results.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's true....

Those shocks aren't very good dampers, period. The more spring rate, the less travel (which lowering springs have) the better the shocks have to be to make the car work correctly. And fwiw, ride and handling are, in a lot of ways, linked. A car doesn't handle well if it only works on glass smooth roads.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking for ride and handling, possible autocross
Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looking for ride and handling, possible autocross
So why wouldn't you want to go with the koni/strano combo???
Built specifically for that with results to prove it.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So why wouldn't you want to go with the koni/strano combo???
Built specifically for that with results to prove it.
The almighty dollar won't allow me too.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's understandable, however...

bear in mind that you do NOT necessarily have to do it all at once. Whilst I don't want to speak for anybody else, you ought to arrange a time to consult Sam. If it's improved street handling, then maybe AX, he's certainly one with a proven track record in that area, literally. If you're realistic, you can work well with what you initially start with, then upgrade as the finances allow.

(NOTE: If and when you do consult, make sure you're committed as there's been lots of tyre kickers and information abusers who's made it difficult for the honest and serious forum members. Just MHO.)
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
QA1's don't control stock springs very well, they really have no prayer of doing a good job with lowering springs. You should ask anyone who's had them. I've replaced a lot of QA1's over the years because folks couldn't stand how they drove and rode even with stock springs. Only gets worse with stiffer springs......
I had QA1s. Unless you have an all out drag car that you don't drive on the street, they're garbage IMO. Worst waste of money I ever spent on my car.

Hose mod the rear for a slight drop, cut the rear coils and hose mod the rear for more drop (the rates go up nicely on the rear springs, they work very well cut if you only take off one coil), or get something like the BMR rear springs. No lowering spring or even cut stock spring is going to work well with the QA1s though. They're just really bad shocks when it comes to ride quality and handling (great at the track though).
Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And I guess low end KYB's or Tokico's are definately out of the question judging on what I have read.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. Did you get QA1s for drag strip duty or do your drag strip times have priority over ride or handling for you? Where do your priorities lie in what you want from your suspension?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Uhh, where are you getting your prices from? QA1s are around the same price as Koni SA's:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

On my own car having been on stock suspension, then just konis, then konis with a Sam's front bar, then rear bar added later, then springs added later, Ill tell you that I would rather auto-x with just konis on otherwise stock suspension than lowering springs with inadequate shocks. You'll be blown away with how hard you can push your car while being in control with just konis on it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

For autox, forget the QA1's.. toss that idea right into the garbage. I'd talk to Sam if I were you. If you pick a set of cheaper shocks and then autox more often, you might find yourself wanting to swap to something better down the road. Experiencing/driving a well tuned suspension vs the underdampened stock shocks or other weaker shocks is everything. Just search on the stuff I'm talking about if you need more info.

Since your autoxing, forget the cutting springs thing. You will gain little springrate for the big drop you'll get. Leave cutting springs to the guys who just want to drop their cars for looks.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't bought anything, I am still shoping around. I just know that my 1999 Decarbons are wasted and I need new stuff. Have my whole rear suspension built already except for sway bar, and all stock front, I want great handling for the street with a possible autox on occasion.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I get the off car adjustable how often do the shocks need to be removed for adjustments or does same have a specific setting he uses with his springs?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Might help if you did what a few have recommended and just call.

I won't give out setup information on the forums anymore. I will to customers by phone. I have settings I recommend to start with, but they are personal and not everyone ends up at the same place after playing around....that's the beauty of adjustable dampers, something you cannot do with non-adjustables.

If you want the car to work, do not get cheap on shocks. Only thing you can do worse is to spend too much on shocks that just are not very good dampers like what you asked about.... because then you get crappy control *and* spent way too much for it.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Sam, I would but I am currently in Afghanistain and not ready to purchase right now but I will call when I get back to the states.

Quick Reply: Strano Springs on QA1's