Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bmr springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmr springs

Ok, so i was looking at getting the bmr coil springs, I dont have alot of cash but i need new springs and shoclks. I found the bmr one's for 249.xx they drop 1in. What shock would be ok to use for this?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

depends on your definition of "okay" i guess. as much as i don't like recommending "okay" parts i guess tokico's or kyb's would work alright. slp bilsteins would be a little better.

other things to consider: lowering correctly + cheap don't really go together. you'll need an alignment afterward so there's $100. adjustable phb so your rear is centered, $125. lower control arm relocation brackets to regain traction lost by tinkering with geometry, $90.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slp bilsteins would be better than just the regular bilstein shcks. An adjustable phb like a UMI can be had for like $100.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

i've got the newer BMR springs and really like them.

definatly gonna need an adjustable phb. although if you run the stock wheels or even some 9.5" rims you should not have any major issues other than looks (offcenter axle).

i NEEDED the rear centered due to having the 11" rims and 315s in back.

KYB adjustables are a good budget shock for lowering. but honestly you should do it right and save up for Koni's

i'm SOOOOOO glad i did...was well worth it.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

I'll have like 800 bucks for the springs and shocks plus the install, Does that help a lil bit on my selection? I'm also running stock slp 17x9 10 spokes. I"ll hold off on the relocation brackets til i order my 9'in. and the phb will come very shortly after install.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

do the install yourself...its really pretty easy.

i say save up for Koni 4/3's ...it will be worth it.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by +badss+
I'll have like 800 bucks for the springs and shocks plus the install, Does that help a lil bit on my selection? I'm also running stock slp 17x9 10 spokes. I"ll hold off on the relocation brackets til i order my 9'in. and the phb will come very shortly after install.
if you have $800, buy koni's and use the lower front perch and heater hose in the rear. that'll give you a 3/4" drop and ride/handle excellently.

if you don't plan on installing this all yourself, i would just wait a while. install will be $400ish which doesn't leave you nearly enough for decent shocks.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
Slp bilsteins would be better than just the regular bilstein shcks. An adjustable phb like a UMI can be had for like $100.
SLP Bilsteins and Bilstein HDs are the same shock. Misleading info.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
if you have $800, buy koni's and use the lower front perch and heater hose in the rear. that'll give you a 3/4" drop and ride/handle excellently.

if you don't plan on installing this all yourself, i would just wait a while. install will be $400ish which doesn't leave you nearly enough for decent shocks.
Man where do you go for installs, thats a lot money. 200ish be about right.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
SLP Bilsteins and Bilstein HDs are the same shock. Misleading info.
as far as i know rears are the same, but fronts are different:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

i know they changed the valving of the HD's but i don't think it's identical to the slp's.

Originally Posted by ssam98
Man where do you go for installs, thats a lot money. 200ish be about right.
i went to two places to get quotes and that's what they told me. my car has never been to a mechanic or shop since i bought it. i do everything myself for that reason.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 12-23-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

SLP Bilsteins
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

What would you guys say to this, I would like to retain stock height.
Parts Catalog >> Chevrolet Camaro, 1998-2002 >> Suspension
Next Part
Bilstein Tuned Suspension kit Add To Cart

Part #: BTS-7501
Brand: Bilstein
Price: $694.00

Evolving from a history of worldwide racing dominance, Bilstein has developed the ultimate automotive performance suspension systems. To insure maximum performance, these systems utilize Bilstein's superior monotube gas shocks, featuring:

Largest available piston diameter for greater sensitivity and precise control.
Patented digressive piston head design and deflective valving instantly reacts to changing road conditions.
Monotube design dissipates heat more effectively than a twin tube shock for cooler, more efficient operation and longer life.
Lighter weight reduces wear and tear on suspension components.

BTS System
The Bilstein BTS suspension components provide a dramatic increase in your vehicle's performance handling characteristics. The BTS consists of 4 coil springs with a performance directed spring rate and Bilstein's patented monotube gas pressure shock absorbers.

Available for the following vehicles:
• Chevrolet Camaro, 1993-1997
• Chevrolet Camaro, 1998-2002
• Pontiac Firebird, 1993-1997
• Pontiac Firebird, 1998-2002
Old 12-24-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

that would be springs and shocks all for 694.00....
Let me get some feed back on this...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

pretty good street setup. i bought that setup from a guy locally who liked it, but never installed it. reason for not installing was how the front tends to sit a little higher than the rear with that kit. if you can get past that though, it's a good budget package.

in all honesty though, if you're ready to spend $700 just get koni's. you can use stock springs and stay stock height or use the lower perch and heater hose for a 3/4" drop. i have bilsteins, and they're decent but after riding in a koni car it's just not the same.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Ok, here's the deal. I sell Bilstein, and the BTS kit too... but I don't really think it's the best choice. And actually at this point they cost more than SLP Bilstein's and Strano springs, which are a better match.

See, the BTS springs are just too stiff, stiffer than what I use, especially in the back by a factor of about 25%. Bilstein have never made Sport valved shocks for this car. SLP's were as close as they got, having some more damping (which later became the HD standard valving in the front).

I like to be blunt. So here it is. I can sell the BTS kit if you want it. But it won't ride as well as my springs and the shocks.... and it'll cost more too, because the SLP Bilstien's are on sale and have free shipping and the springs are shipped @ $275. Also my rear spring rate is one of best rates to run with Bilstein's because I don't go as stiff as many others, which makes them happier with shocks that don't have a lot of oomph (rebound damping).

FWIW, note therealcreeper's last sentence. Bilstein's are ok, but having compared to Koni's, it's just not the same. So, how well do you want things to work? This is the consideration, as well as you budget. But even if you don't buy Koni's, it still matters what shocks with what springs.

Merry Christmas.... I'll be @ work on Monday if you want some help or more explanation.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks Sam ill give you a call on probably Wednesday..

Quick Reply: bmr springs