Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just installed Hawk HPS & Blead the Brakes....Still not feeling good

Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Hawk HPS & Blead the Brakes....Still not feeling good

I just got done installing Hawk HPS pads all around and I also had to bleed the brakes due to the caliper piston coming out of a caliper in the rear, dont ask how I did it , and the car still feels like before.

The brake pedal is spongy and you have to press it too much in for the brakes to come on. I know with new pads the car should start braking as soon as you press the pedal lightly but this is not the case.

What do you guys think ? I still have air in the lines ?

And what would be the best way to bleed brakes ?
Old 12-24-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO its not a bleeding issue.

whats the condition of the rotor ? new, used not machined, used but machined ???

u need to bed-in or give some time for the pads to patern on the rotor.

tyt watching this video
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ds-rotors.html
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spongy pedal is generally air in the lines or something else. are u sure you bled them properly?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

yeah sounds like air is still in it. How did you bleed them??

The way i do it is the old fashion way. Have someone sit in the car, engine off, pump the brakes three times and hold it. Then the other person opens the bleeder as the pedal is pushed down to the floor. Once it hits the floor close the bleeder. Repeat 5-6 times for each wheel.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

I bled them with the help of my brother. He would pump and press the brake pedal and I would open the bleed valve and then close it. I think we did them right. I might have left some in there. I dont know.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS DNA
I bled them with the help of my brother. He would pump and press the brake pedal and I would open the bleed valve and then close it. I think we did them right. I might have left some in there. I dont know.
did you start with right rear, left rear, front right, then last left front.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SS DNA
He has to pump the pedal some before holding it to force the air out. Just stepping on the pedal when you open the bleeder is not enough. Also he cannot lift his foot until you have the bleeder closed.

That said, if your slides are stuck or sticky that's an issue. And with the ABS if there is any sort of air in the ABS pump, you'll need to have the ABS cycled (like at a dealer who has the Tech2) to get it all out.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
He has to pump the pedal some before holding it to force the air out. Just stepping on the pedal when you open the bleeder is not enough. Also he cannot lift his foot until you have the bleeder closed.

That said, if your slides are stuck or sticky that's an issue. And with the ABS if there is any sort of air in the ABS pump, you'll need to have the ABS cycled (like at a dealer who has the Tech2) to get it all out.

Pretty much. You yell PUMP IT. HE says "PUMPIN IT" then after about 4 pumps he should hold it and yell "HOLDING IT" then you open the bleeder
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Pretty much. You yell PUMP IT. HE says "PUMPIN IT" then after about 4 pumps he should hold it and yell "HOLDING IT" then you open the bleeder..................

and to add...

then you open the bleeder as he pushes the brake pedal to the floor. once it gets to the floor he yells "down" and at that exact moment you close it. He pumps it 3-4 times again. Holds pressure on the pedal, open the bleeder as he pushes down to the floor.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

true. forgot about that little note. haha. do it so much at work its just natural. :O
Old 12-25-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Yea pretty much thats how we did it. Im afraid im going to have to take it to a dealer to get the ABS cycled.

I got about a liter left of the ATE Super Blue fluid so Im going to do it again.

Search this Thread