Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 rear rotors on Camaro LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 rear rotors on Camaro LS1

Can I use C5 rear rotors on my Camaro? I can get a cheap 4 rotors set from a C5 Corvette and wondered if I can also use the rear C5 rotors or if I have to extra buy the rear ones for LS1?!

have been searching for a while, but didn't find the answer
Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Teching In

nobody knows?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

you can, with some modifications, but its not needed. 90% of your braking is done in the front. there is no benefit to using bigger rear rotors. just cut or get new LS1 rears.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Teching In

oic, that means the rear c5 rotor is bigger so I can't use it just as bolt on right?

well, I wanted to upgrade only the front rotors but I could get 4 x C5 rotors front&rear for a very good price that's why I wanted to know...
Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

there was a thread a while ago on swapping C5 rears on LS1s. i forgot whats needed, but its not a direct bolt on. i know C5 rears are cheaper for some reason. nearly half the price of LS1 rears on tirerack. but as long as your rears arent grooved or warped, theyll be more then enough for any driving you do. either cut the rear, or get any parts store brand and theyll be fine.

if you ever race your car (more then just stab & steer straight line), youll see you actually want less braking in the rear, because youll get very nasty brake hop in the rear once you run race pads in the front.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

thx!

then I'll just buy c5 fronts and f-body rears
Old 12-27-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stock LS1 rear brakes are more than adequate. And thats coming from someone who has 14" Z06 front rotors with CTS-v 4 piston calipers

The stock rear LS1 rotors are 12" diameter, and are also vented. Thats more than enough for the rear of our cars. The only worthwhile upgrade would be larger calipers, such as the CTS-V 4 piston rears or C6 Z06 4 pistons, but thats mainly only for looks so that you can match the rears with the front. The stock single piston aluminum PBR's do the job just fine, I've never even come close to overheating my stock rear brakes no matter how hard I've pushed the car.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

The C5 rotor hats are of a different dimension (narrower) and as such will not work with stock length axles. They will however "work" with everything else. IF you ordered custom length axles (for your 10bolt, 12bolt, etc) that have the correct distance from flange to hub, the rotors will work just fine. However, you will then need to run a spacer on the hub in order to space your rim back out the the correct track width.

When I ordered my 9", I had the axle and housing made with these considerations in mind. As such I can use C5 rotors (more importantly all aftermarket C5 brake setups) on it.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

well I have a question about this. I know everyone always upgrades the fronts because the do 70% of the braking. I will be doing the same as soon as I have enough money to do so. But my question is this, after I upgrade my front brakes I won't be selling my factory brakes *I keep ALL my stock parts* but since they're not being put to any use, is there anyway to install the factory front calipers on my rear brakes?

How hard would it be to do so, I won't bother with it if its a nuisance or expensive but if its cheap and fairly easy, then why not if you have the calipers sitting around anyway?

thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

really? No one else has ever given this thought or looked into it?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bouvs
well I have a question about this. I know everyone always upgrades the fronts because the do 70% of the braking. I will be doing the same as soon as I have enough money to do so. But my question is this, after I upgrade my front brakes I won't be selling my factory brakes *I keep ALL my stock parts* but since they're not being put to any use, is there anyway to install the factory front calipers on my rear brakes?

How hard would it be to do so, I won't bother with it if its a nuisance or expensive but if its cheap and fairly easy, then why not if you have the calipers sitting around anyway?

thanks guys!
You would probably have to make an adaptor bracket, because I don't think the bolts will line up. Other than that, I suppose it would work it you really wanted to do it.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above the C5 set is really nice and most of the braking is done with the front rotors. All the rears are is a stock LS1 painted Red that's about it.
That is why we only offer just the front rotors and calipers. Below is a link!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...ekeaicnrv2ldk4

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: C5 rear rotors on Camaro LS1