Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Master Cylinder - bench vs. in-car bleed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Master Cylinder - bench vs. in-car bleed

Ive got air in places it shouldn't be :blink:. Woohoo! So, is bench bleeding the master cylinder than better cracking the lines leading to the ABS block, as per the GM service manual bleeding procedure, or just less messy? Won't they acomplish the same thing?

Thanks
BobP
Old 11-28-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Honostly I think it would be just too much hassle to bench bleed it unless it's already unbolted. If I've ever had air in the system I've always just bled them normaly until there wasn't anymore air in the system. There shouldn't be air in there period, i would check to see if there's anything leaking first.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. Actually, I let the master cylinder drain down too low while dropping the axle so I think I let some air into it . Anyway, I can't get a hard pedal after pushing a quart of fluid through. I got a response on another thread that it's hard to bleed fully in the car since it sets at an angle. So, I'll pull it then work on flushing the ABS as well.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobP
Thanks for the input. Actually, I let the master cylinder drain down too low while dropping the axle so I think I let some air into it . Anyway, I can't get a hard pedal after pushing a quart of fluid through. I got a response on another thread that it's hard to bleed fully in the car since it sets at an angle. So, I'll pull it then work on flushing the ABS as well.
I having a bitch of a time bleeding my 99 SS with TCS.I let the master go dry. I removed it to re-move strut. I tried just carcking the lines into the master...once i seen only fluid then I moved to the normal calpier bleed procedure. I get a hard pedal until I start the car. pedal goes to floor. I have re peated this 3 times and still no luck. Could there be air in te ABS? I had the calipers off for 2 weeks with lines hanging free....

Did you have too bench bleed your master?

Thanks for any help
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

What items do i need so I can bench bleed?..do I have to fab this or can I buy it?
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ you just need hoses or brake lines going from the out of the master and reciruclating the fluid back into the resivoirs. Make sure the ends of the lines sits in brake fluid. Bolt it in the vice and use a screw driver to push the piston in. and backand forth till there is no more air bubble coming out. After you bolt it back on the car have a buddy push the pedal down and crack the lines at the master.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

problem is..where do i get extra fitting to screw into the master for the bench bleed?
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Google "Dorman 13911" for an inexpensive kit. I don't know if any sponsors carry it - I got mine through a local national chain. Have them confirm that the kit includes kit one M12 x 1.0 and one M11 x 1.5 fitting. Those are the ones you need. It's an easy job.

If you do have air in the ABS, then your options are to take it to a shop that can cycle the ABS solenoids, or try it on your own. Search for ABS Bleed here and you likely find the procedure. Better yet, check your shop manual if you have one. It involves putting the car on stands, starting a few times per wheel and putting it in gear to cycle the solenoids while bleeding - you'll need a Mighty Vac or similar unit to do it alone.

Good luck.

BobP
Old 01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

great thanks

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder - bench vs. in-car bleed