Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brembo big kit

Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo big kit

I installed a Brembo gt kit and was wondering if anyone knew where to find the oldschool prospeed set up for the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Brembo big kit-various-037.jpg   Brembo big kit-various-044.jpg   Brembo big kit-various-048.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I don't believe Prospeed ever made a rear set up for a Fbody
Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

what r the specs of the brembo gt kit? size rotors? how much did it run?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roy
Didn't you post a pic of a Porsche big red kit on the rear of a pontiac. I basically want all the rear hardware minus the caliper. Then i will buy the Brembo replacement.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
what r the specs of the brembo gt kit? size rotors? how much did it run?

They are 13.25" in diameter and are pretty light weighed less than the eradispeed's I took off. I paid 2k for the kit.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roy

As a matter of fact it was a silver fbody not sure on the make.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

so how does she stop now?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
so how does she stop now?
Let me tell you night and day over my eradispeed rotors with hawk pads..
Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RUNIN11Z
Didn't you post a pic of a Porsche big red kit on the rear of a pontiac. I basically want all the rear hardware minus the caliper. Then i will buy the Brembo replacement.
As a matter of fact it was a silver fbody not sure on the make.
Got your PM. Yes that was me and my car. That picture is from about 2002. The company that makes the rear brake kit is called Movit. It s probably best to get the whole kit as the factory Park brake cannot be used with the Movit kit. Also take into account the rear brakes on a Fbody are a floating caliper design. .
(C&P from another thread)
This design allows for caliper movement for C-clip axles when the axle shaft moves slightly in and out of the axle housing. The Porsche calipers are a fixed caliper design. When these fixed calipers are put on a c-clipped axle , the movement of the axle shaft going in and out ever so slightly will cause the rotor to push in the pistons of the fixed caliper. This is very predominant when coming out of a tight corner and then standing on the brakes to slow down. Which results in a long brake pedal.(C&P from another thread)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the front Prospeed kit for sale
but never bought the rear
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

What roy mentions is pad knockback, and I had it LOTS when I had a rear caliper like his on a C-clip axle.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by roy
Got your PM. Yes that was me and my car. That picture is from about 2002. The company that makes the rear brake kit is called Movit. It s probably best to get the whole kit as the factory Park brake cannot be used with the Movit kit. Also take into account the rear brakes on a Fbody are a floating caliper design. .
(C&P from another thread)
This design allows for caliper movement for C-clip axles when the axle shaft moves slightly in and out of the axle housing. The Porsche calipers are a fixed caliper design. When these fixed calipers are put on a c-clipped axle , the movement of the axle shaft going in and out ever so slightly will cause the rotor to push in the pistons of the fixed caliper. This is very predominant when coming out of a tight corner and then standing on the brakes to slow down. Which results in a long brake pedal.(C&P from another thread)

Thanks for the reply. Does Movit still offer a kit that has the Porsche caliper?

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
What roy mentions is pad knockback, and I had it LOTS when I had a rear caliper like his on a C-clip axle.
I have a Strange 12 bolt and some adj. lower control arms and a watts link to go in once I attack the rear of the car
Old 01-03-2010, 11:27 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply. Does Movit still offer a kit that has the Porsche caliper?
It probably be best to send them an email or give them a call .
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Strange 12 bolt and some adj. lower control arms and a watts link to go in once I attack the rear of the car
Do some effective research on pad knockback and you'll see how hard it is to deal with. Those mods will do little to prevent it. As a matter of fact, going to an axle with more unsprung mass increases the possiblity as well as the any increase in MOI if a rotor of increased mass is used. It's a serious tradeoff of switching from floating calipers to solid calipers on a solid rear axle. Even the most sophisticated IRS's still get it quite often, though not as bad as the Solid rear axles can. Stoptech and Brembo engineers warned me on several occasions about this, yet I ignored them and discovered what they were actually talking about.

In a straight line, this phenomena is nearly nonexistent.

Again, I don't intend to dampen the fun nor downgrade your effort, however I make no apologies for sharing the experience that even I was warned about from experienced race teams, club racers, speed shops, and other engineers as well as my own personal experience.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Do some effective research on pad knockback and you'll see how hard it is to deal with. Those mods will do little to prevent it. As a matter of fact, going to an axle with more unsprung mass increases the possiblity as well as the any increase in MOI if a rotor of increased mass is used. It's a serious tradeoff of switching from floating calipers to solid calipers on a solid rear axle. Even the most sophisticated IRS's still get it quite often, though not as bad as the Solid rear axles can. Stoptech and Brembo engineers warned me on several occasions about this, yet I ignored them and discovered what they were actually talking about.

In a straight line, this phenomena is nearly nonexistent.

Again, I don't intend to dampen the fun nor downgrade your effort, however I make no apologies for sharing the experience that even I was warned about from experienced race teams, club racers, speed shops, and other engineers as well as my own personal experience.
I thought if I got rid of the c clip axles it would eliminate the axle movement
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll rid one significant factor, but there can still be plenty of knockback. It's not just down to the deflection of the axle (which c-clips do contribute to on cornering), but there will always be a significant amount of mass that can deflect when cornering which can cause pad knockback. Again, nothing is 100% deflection free.

Also, you'll be most likely running axles with more mass as well as the rotors that will attach to your brakes.

Even the stock floating calipers are knockback susceptible, but just not as much as what you're looking to do.

Another aspect that comes into play here is increased brake bias to the rear, which will shift the brake biasing right back to the rear defeating one significant benefit to an F-body "front-only" BBK. Having more pistons in the rear caliper may seem like an improvement, however your stock brake hydralic bias will be affected as well (though this is actually more dependent on total piston diameter for one side rather than just the number of pistons).

Again, not trying to discourage you, but there's no such thing as a free lunch and no one trick solution.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

You'll rid one significant factor, but there can still be plenty of knockback. It's not just down to the deflection of the axle (which c-clips do contribute to on cornering), but there will always be a significant amount of mass that can deflect when cornering which can cause pad knockback. Again, nothing is 100% deflection free.

Also, you'll be most likely running axles with more mass as well as the rotors that will attach to your brakes.

Even the stock floating calipers are knockback susceptible, but just not as much as what you're looking to do.

Another aspect that comes into play here is increased brake bias to the rear, which will shift the brake biasing right back to the rear defeating one significant benefit to an F-body "front-only" BBK. Having more pistons in the rear caliper may seem like an improvement, however your stock brake hydralic bias will be affected as well (though this is actually more dependent on total piston diameter for one side rather than just the number of pistons).

Again, not trying to discourage you, but there's no such thing as a free lunch and no one trick solution.
Thanks for all the input... So it is best not to run a fixed caliper on the rear and stick with the stock PBR caliper which is floating. That sucks I kind of wanted to have everything with no compromise.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

In general, there's no mod comes without compromise. It's just that the mod you're considering comes with lots of compromises.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 01-04-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put a 9" rearend in and there would be no knockback since the axles would be fixed.

While you are doing that get it narrowed so you can run wide lipped rear wheels.
Your axles and housing will be stronger and save weight too

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

In general, there's no mod comes without compromise. It's just that the mod you're considering comes with lots of compromises.
Foxxtron I know that you are very knowledgeable when it comes to this so what are my options when it comes to running a fixed caliper???

Originally Posted by 69TA
I would put a 9" rearend in and there would be no knockback since the axles would be fixed.

While you are doing that get it narrowed so you can run wide lipped rear wheels.
Your axles and housing will be stronger and save weight too

Will this eliminate the long pedal travel that I have been reading about???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brembo big kit