Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment after k-member install

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default alignment after k-member install

just got my alignment done after a BMR k-member and prothane motor mount install. Still have the stock A-arms.

as you can see below, the numbers in red are just out of spec. pretty much they were like 'thats the best we're gonna get it'. should i be concerned and try to go to another location to get it redone? or will it be fine? unfortunatley, it started to rain, so i didn't get to go out on the highway, but it seemed to drive straight around town. i'm more concerned about potential abnormal tire wear.

here are my numbers (sorry, vbulletin is not cooperating with the formatting):

_____[ Left ][ Right ][ Range ]
Camber [ 0.9][-0.3][-0.1 - 0.9]
Caster [4.0][4.8][4.3 - 5.3]
Toe [0.05] [-0.02] [-0.10 - 0.10]

__________[measurment] [range]
Cross Camber [0.3] [-0.7 - 0.7]
Cross Caster [-0.8][-0.7 - 0.7]
Total Toe [0.04] [-0.20 - 0.20]
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your cross camber is a little wider than I would like to see, but do not think it will be a problem,( you may get a small amount of drift to the left because of the large amount of cross camber + the large amount of diff. in caster.
the small amount your " reds" are out I do not think will be a problem, should wear and drive ok

here are the specs I like/run
Johnny

MAINTAIN ALIGN SPECTS @ CAMBER =O.50 DEG ,
CASTER =4.50 DEG ON LEFT SIDE, 5.00 DEG ON RIGHT,,
TOE=1/16 INCH TOE IN

Last edited by SS SLP2; 01-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost a degree of POSITIVE camber on the left?

I think that's a real problem. There is over a degree of difference between the left and right side.

Either find a different alignment guy or slot the camber mount on the left side about 1/4"
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

why is it that one side can be so different from the other?

has anyone ever done a "how to" on modifying things to get the needed room to adjust the parts?

i hear things like "widen the slot"....but what does that mean and TO what
Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

so is it normal for people to have issues getting a perfect alignment after changing the k-member?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...I can't find a local shop that has the right tool...there's a specialized tool to set castor/camber on our cars. It looks like this:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7840.html

Of course, the shop I went to didn't tell me they didn't have the tool until AFTER they did the alignment, I had already paid to have a "lifetime" alignment, and then they gave me the print out and said that's the best they could do.

I found a sit that had cheaper version of the tool for like $50 shipped, but that site seems to have gone out of business...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

wow....thats crazy.

it sucks most shops don't do a true alignment. freaking annoying
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
...I can't find a local shop that has the right tool...there's a specialized tool to set castor/camber on our cars. It looks like this:

Of course, the shop I went to didn't tell me they didn't have the tool until AFTER they did the alignment, I had already paid to have a "lifetime" alignment, and then they gave me the print out and said that's the best they could do.
yeah, i went to the firestone store for their 'lifetime' alignment as well. normally not an issue. i am somewhat understanding of the fact that i have a non-stock setup... but its not that drastically different that they shouldn't be able to figure it out.

they also told me about the 'special tool' for firebird/camaros. they said 'we just dont get enough of those cars to justify buying the special tool for them. we can still do the car, it just takes a little longer.'
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our alignment shop here in town got mine spot on with no special tools for camber/caster, however i do have tubular adjustable lower A-arms. as far as i know, for camber he used a ratchet strap (or similar). a competent shop shouldnt have any trouble doing this....its literally the exact same as the stock parts unless for some reason the holes arent elongated enough to allow more adjustment.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a sit that had cheaper version of the tool for like $50 shipped, but that site seems to have gone out of business...
This is a pretty dam nifty tool that i never knew existed . Im trying to alighn my ride right right now by my self , just good enough to drive it to my local shop to have it done. I also hung a string from the very center of the front fender wheel well (with tape) and a washer for weight LOL from my front fender, to try and get my rims as centered as possible using the rim hubs as a referance point (TO CENTER TIRE IN WHEEL WELL)and will play with the camber and caster as close as i can to get it driveable. Will this tool work for the BMR K member and adjustable UMI lower control arms ? If so, i think it may be worth it for $100 or so just to help me get alittle closer and to help my shop out some with the alighnment. I figuired if it works out really nice for the shop,,,, maybe they'll even buy it off of me for full or ever half price if it makes there job alot quicker and easyer ? .Time is money LOL Any of you have any helpfull tips for me to get my front tires as close as possible for the 5 mile trip?
Thanks guys and 2 thumbs up for the starters of this LS1 tech site This site is the reason i learned how to keyboard type and use a PC beleive it or not over 3 years ago.Im still a 1 finger typer though and spelling still needs some improvement

Last edited by barnat; 01-09-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there any slight free play in the k-member when you installed it? It looks like if they didn't know you just installed it, they didn't touch it. That might have to be aligned so your wheel alignment can be corrected.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zbugger
Was there any slight free play in the k-member when you installed it? It looks like if they didn't know you just installed it, they didn't touch it. That might have to be aligned so your wheel alignment can be corrected.
Huh?,,,,I just installed my new BMR K member with UMI lower control arms .Its still up on blocks in my garage.Im wondering if this tool will help me get **** (close or closer) for the 5 mile trip to get it to the alighnment shop. Plus, help my shop out some if they dont have this tool?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

I just went and found my castor/camber tool. Mine was only like $50 and it's made by Specialty Products Company and the part # is 83775 Maybe another company carries them now since I think the company I got mine from is now out of business...

Hey! Just found it on amazon for $61, so you may be able to find it chaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Prod.../dp/B000JZUS12

...and after a Google search, there are some places that have it for less than $50 too.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just went and found my castor/camber tool. Mine was only like $50 and it's made by Specialty Products Company and the part # is 83775 Maybe another company carries them now since I think the company I got mine from is now out of business...

Hey! Just found it on amazon for $61, so you may be able to find it chaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Prod.../dp/B000JZUS12
Have you tryed it on a aftermarket K member and control arms yet?This is what im trying to figuire out before i buy one !
Thanks Barnat
Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
Have you tryed it on a aftermarket K member and control arms yet?This is what im trying to figuire out before i buy one !
Thanks Barnat
Sorry, I'm still on my stock K-Member and control arms....maybe someone else will post up that has experince with it...
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zbugger
the k-member itself has pins in it, so it can only be installed in one orientation. I made a point to tell the actual alignment guy (not just the service writer) what i did to the car, so he knew to check it all.

and i just looked at my stock k-member... it also has slotted holes where the A-arms attach. so doing the alignment on the aftermarket k-member should be NO different than the stock k-member.

i think they were just being lazy cuz it was the end of the day and they didnt want to play with it anymore. I'm going to try to go to another location the next time i get the chance, and see if they can try again.

Quick Reply: alignment after k-member install