Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Negative camber.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Negative camber.

My 97 Trans Am is dead stock suspension wise. I don't have the money to mod the suspension properly, but the car needs an alignment.

I come from the fox body scene, where the cars really need the negative camber. How is the F-body camber curve? Would the car respond well to negative camber on the street?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like a good idea to me. i went to -0.5 when i got my car aligned. you could probably get to -1.0 or -1.5 with with stock adjustment but that's about it. that and some poly endlinks should make it a bit nimbler.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely forgot about doing the poly endlinks and bushings. That just got bumped up on the list.

My only real concern with camber is having too much. This car is my daily driver, and while I understand camber isn't the main contributor to tire wear, I wouldn't want to scrub life off at a much more accelerated pace.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I had mine done last spring right when the new tires went on. I had the guy put mine at -.5 and tho I only drive in the summer no ill wear pattern like if it was done to the factory spec. I wouldn't say I drive easy if that helps. I think -.5 is a safe place to start. If you don't like it go more.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anywhere between -.5* and-1* works really good on the street. I currently run -.8* and I'm happy with the tire wear, and driveability on the roads I drive on. At one time I was running -1.5* to -1.7* but I wouldn't recommend running that much negative camber on the street unless you have really smooth roads where live/drive. BTW, I also drive my car hard.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I have mine at -1.7 (daily driver) and it took a while to notice increased wear on the inside, but if you rotate the tires early then it will all wear evenly. But on stock suspension you wont be able to go past -1.0 at the most, for example my car would only do -.7 and to get there it was sacrificing a lot of caster which also helps out our cars a lot. (get the most positive caster) 0 toe

small amount of Toe in/out will destroy a tire fast

whereas

good amount of camber will be fine with proper attention and tire rotation.

FYI-

Bear tracker tie rod ends
Strano offset upper a-arm bushings
New bushings

Quick Reply: Negative camber.