Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-member install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default K-member install question

Instead of seperating the upper ball joint and disconnecting the ABS lines(as supplied instructions suggest).
Couldn't I just use a spring compressor and take the tension off the lower control arm then pull those 2 lca mounting bolts and disconnect the brake line mounting tabs from the factory K-member?
This is a aftermarket k-member install.

thanks Ed
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Instead of seperating the upper ball joint and disconnecting the ABS lines(as supplied instructions suggest).
Couldn't I just use a spring compressor and take the tension off the lower control arm then pull those 2 lca mounting bolts and disconnect the brake line mounting tabs from the factory K-member?
This is a aftermarket k-member install.

thanks Ed
I dont know why you would want to, it takes 2 seconds to unplug the abs, and disconnect the 2 balljoints, and it makes for a good time to inspect the balljoints. I just did this yesterday, and it took all of 30 minutes to take the tires, calipers, discs, abs plug, and unhook the balljoints. Really a piece of cake, plus it makes it 100 times easier to do the swap with that stuff out of the way.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTL FED
I dont know why you would want to, it takes 2 seconds to unplug the abs, and disconnect the 2 balljoints, and it makes for a good time to inspect the balljoints. I just did this yesterday, and it took all of 30 minutes to take the tires, calipers, discs, abs plug, and unhook the balljoints. Really a piece of cake, plus it makes it 100 times easier to do the swap with that stuff out of the way.
i'm with this guy, i did mine on jack stands in the garage and it wasnt a big deal. Its easier than dealing with the spring compressor.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

I figured maybe 5 min to hook up the spring compressor and take just a small strain. I was just thinking that it would be faster than unhooking the ABS lines and bleeding the brakes.
As long as you have the strut spring compressor. nothing has to be disassemble to use it, the lower control arm bolts have to come out anyway.
Ed
Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BTL FED
it takes 2 seconds to unplug the abs, and disconnect the 2 balljoints, .

You guys should seriously consider a career in NASCAR!

I read it quick last night maybe it meant ABS plugs not brake lines but I don't think so.

I noticed BMR instructions recommend removing the lca bolts.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

should be no need to bleed the brakes. Its pretty straight forward when you get under there.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
You guys should seriously consider a career in NASCAR!

I read it quick last night maybe it meant ABS plugs not brake lines but I don't think so.

I noticed BMR instructions recommend removing the lca bolts.
It really is that easy, remove 2 cotter pins, unplug abs sensor, a couple smacks with a brass hammer (thats what they recommend, but I always just run the nut to the top of the ball joint and give it a whack with a normal hammer), or a pickle fork if you have one, and your done. Ya no reason to remove the brake lines just hang the caliper with a bungie or some wire so it doesnt hang on its rubber line.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

you dont have to disconnect your brake lines to do the k-member install. its just the ABS sensor that you have to unplug.

i also dont recall you having to touch the ball joints, just the tie rod ends. and for those, you just take out the pins, loosen the nut until its flush with the top of the bolt, put a block of wood on it, and give it a few good whacks with a hammer until it separates.