Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake upgrade issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade issue

I upgraded to UMI C5 kit on my 01 WS6. I have HP Evo lightnings on the front. When I put the tire on to test fit I touch the caliper. I figure I need 3/16 or 5mm spacer. Where can I buy them & do I need to replace my studs? I appreciate the feedback. I want to stay safe.

Last edited by CarnivorWS.6-01; 01-16-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Any help ??
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarnivorWS.6-01
I upgraded to UMI C5 kit on my 01 WS6. I have HP Evo lightnings on the front. When I put the tire on to test fit I touch the caliper. I figure I need 3/16 or 5mm spacer. Where can I buy them & do I need to replace my studs? I appreciate the feedback. I want to stay safe.
What touches, the caliper or the tire? Above you wrote when you put the tire on the caliper touched??

Anyways usually HP evo's have an offset of +38mm offset which should be fine with even larger C6 Z51 and C6Z06 brakes IF I am not mistaken. Spacers you can get anywhere. Summit, Jegs, and probably any sponsor on here.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Striker
What touches, the caliper or the tire? Above you wrote when you put the tire on the caliper touched??

Anyways usually HP evo's have an offset of +38mm offset which should be fine with even larger C6 Z51 and C6Z06 brakes IF I am not mistaken. Spacers you can get anywhere. Summit, Jegs, and probably any sponsor on here.
The caliper hits the inside of the wheel on the Spokes. I just took it for granted they would work. 18x8 HP's.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The caliper hits the inside of the wheel on the Spokes. I just took it for granted they would work. 18x8 HP's.
Offset can matter, but in the end, it's the spoke design that matters.

You should devise a method to measure the spoke-to-caliper clearance, then order a spacer that offers the amount of width needed (with a 2mm tolerance between spoke and caliper). Baer offered some decent spacers that work well (even though they're not hub-centric).

If you haven't done so yet, consider upgrading the wheel studs with longer ones since you're have less threading available with the stock wheel studs.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Offset can matter, but in the end, it's the spoke design that matters.

You should devise a method to measure the spoke-to-caliper clearance, then order a spacer that offers the amount of width needed (with a 2mm tolerance between spoke and caliper). Baer offered some decent spacers that work well (even though they're not hub-centric).

If you haven't done so yet, consider upgrading the wheel studs with longer ones since you're have less threading available with the stock wheel studs.
I used the washer method and figure 5-6mm will do it on a spacer. I also found a company that custom builds them, hubcentric for about $70 shipped. My concern is pushing the wheels & tires out and contacting the fender on hard suspension compresion. I have new Hawk pads. I am considering removing 2mm from the outer pad to also bring in the caliper 2mm? Does that sound crazy?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the washer method and figure 5-6mm will do it on a spacer. I also found a company that custom builds them, hubcentric for about $70 shipped. My concern is pushing the wheels & tires out and contacting the fender on hard suspension compresion. I have new Hawk pads. I am considering removing 2mm from the outer pad to also bring in the caliper 2mm? Does that sound crazy?
It's not that crazy as some would believe, however, since the pads are some of the most critical components of the brakes per se, I would only recommend it IF and ONLY IF you're able to keep a keen eye on it. Bear in mind that 2mm shaving can possibly lead to some heat issues that your rotors may have to deal with. After all, when pads themselves become worn down, they have less overall mass to deal with the heat. I also cannot recall the sliding pin length on the abutment brackets (which can determine the overall spacing during brake disengagement), which could defeat a significant amount of pad shaving (how much I cannot recall ATM).

If it were me, I'd actually make the spacer simply wide enough to enable a good amount of space between the spokes and calipers so you introduce less brake issues in the future.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade issue