Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can the spindles bend?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the spindles bend?

my car was involved in an accident and hit by a car on the front passenger side wheel. it bent the upper control arm, lower a arm, and some how the wheel hub dident bend. jw if its a possiblility the spindle could be bent. I took them both off the car and put them side by side. i still cant tell if its bent or not. is the a way to tell? the other car hit me at about 30 miles an hour and i was going 45.

the only reason i wonder is because ive heard about people hitting curbs and stuff bending there spindles. i can get pics if needed
Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, spindles can get bent. now, it would be hard to tell for us with a pic considering your upper/lower A-arms are bent
Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a GOOD align tech do an alignment and be sure he/she checks the SAI if it is out of OE specs then it is most likely bent. With a good lick it could be bent

I think I have an explaintion of SAI on my web site link is at the botton of my sig
Johnny

ps: sorry IT a'nt there
thanks to HUNTER this may help you understand

"
STEERING AXIS INCLINATION (SAI)

SAI is defined in a manner similar to caster:

Steering axis inclination – The angle, in front elevation perpendicular to the thrust line of the nonsteerable wheels, between the steering axis and the vertical. It is considered positive when the steering axis is inclined inward (in the upward direction) and negative when the steering axis is inclined outward.
SAI is essentially an angle similar to caster, but is measured in a plane 90 degrees to the plane in which caster is measured. SAI can thus be computed from the changes in a camber-type sensor mounted 90º to the usual camber sensor. (Such a sensor is normally used when adjusting caster.) The only extra requirement is that, during the turn procedure, the sensor assembly must be locked to the adapter which mounts it to the wheel, and the brakes must be locked. Such a sensor measures the same angular change a “camber” sensor would measure if it were mounted on a horizontal axle at 90º to the wheel axle.

In fact, both caster and SAI can be measured simultaneously during the caster turn procedure. The alignment instrument must have both a camber sensor and a “caster adjust” sensor, and the sensor and brakes must be locked, as described above. During the turn procedure, the camber sensor is tilted to the front or rear, and the angle it measures is altered by the cosine of the tilt angle. Since this angle is normally less than two degrees, the error introduced is virtually unmeasurable. The “caster adjust” sensor is tilted in the camber direction in the same manner, and the error here is also negligible."

Last edited by SS SLP2; 01-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can the spindles bend?