Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pad recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad recommendations?

I currently have hawk HPS pads and love them EXCEPT I hate the dust and powdering. What would you guy recommend for daily driving? I'll still use the hawks when im on a road course. just wanna keep the rims cleaner.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

If you are using the Hawk HPS for road course use, that's making the dust worse (because it's way beyond what they are meant to deal with).

Clean and power are not things that go together. Look at the wheels of german cars, they are always dirty because they have pads that work and stop the car.

HPS dust isn't that bad if you don't glaze them, and track use will. It cleans up easily. I find Hawk Ceramics to be no more clean than HPS.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the Hawks
Take it Easy!
Brad
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I now use Wagner Thermos on all of my cars. They never squeal, never notice hard spots, rotors don't get grooved, and the material is lighter brown which makes a very light tan dust which hardly is noticable compared to some out there. And they also stop very nicely and come with new stainless caliper slides.

mark jr.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using Porterfield Racing's HP Street compound pads for several summers with good results....
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powerstop Z16 Evolution Ceramic pads offer good friction characteristics and very low dust. You can search some of the sales threads I've had for peoples reviews on the pads. I also agree with Sam, high mu (friction) and low dust don't usually go together.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Clean and power are not things that go together. Look at the wheels of german cars, they are always dirty because they have pads that work and stop the car.
I agree! My wife has two Jaguars, yeah, I know they're English....Nonetheless, I can was the cars and clean the wheels thoroughly, and one trip to the grocery store and back, the front wheels are filthy...

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendations?