Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does Koni shock gets rusty inside over time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does Koni shock gets rusty inside over time?

I tried to adjust my front ones today and one front shock adjustment slot wouldn't budge at all. I mean I was trying to either go + or - almost bending the allen wrench and it would not move.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had the same problem. I don't think they get rusty, but grime and moisture get in there and it binds up.

Multiple squirts of lubricating fluid didn't do it for me. I finally took the shock assemblies off, disassembled them, and with better access to the adjuster, I finally got them loosened up and was able to move them.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I had the same problem. I don't think they get rusty, but grime and moisture get in there and it binds up.

Multiple squirts of lubricating fluid didn't do it for me. I finally took the shock assemblies off, disassembled them, and with better access to the adjuster, I finally got them loosened up and was able to move them.

Well that's a sucky solution to an expensive shock..

one that I own..
Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Not exactly common problems... Can happen to shocks that are never adjusted on cars that see bad weather. Could also preemptively spray something like dry film lubricant in there upon assembly to help with the next to never situation.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO

Sumbitch! I just got done putting them back after installing my DMS springs. Which looks great BTW.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
Sumbitch! I just got done putting them back after installing my DMS springs. Which looks great BTW.
Dang, dude - bummer. I'm sure you didn't think of adjusting them till you felt the effect of your new springs ... too late. Mine were like yours, too - the allen wrench would start to bend and no give.
Not exactly common problems... Can happen to shocks that are never adjusted on cars that see bad weather.
Yep, I DD my car in all kinds of weather and I'm sure that contributed to it.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm fortunate in that my former employer used really slick "aluminum tape" in one of their assembly processes. They also could only keep the tape "on the shelf" for 12 months, and had to dispose of anything older. Many of us employees took the "expired" tape home.

When I installed my new Konis, two weeks ago, I set the adjustment, then covered the slot with a piece of this tape, to keep the dirt out. I would assume that duct tape could be used also....
Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^

I was thinking the same thing. I would think some kind of tape would help alot by covering the adjusters.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I might do that when I get home, although I've got some pieces of plastic piping lying around.
I was just thinking of cutting 2 pieces off the end, cutting a slot out of each & placing it over the adjuster so you can turn it one way for open the other closed, that's if it fits.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could also get damaged from over compressing them. Example, really low ride height plus not using the factory packer. I think they come with one packer each. Make sure and use them.

Quick Reply: Does Koni shock gets rusty inside over time?