Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems

Car is a 96 Z28, stock suspension. Upon braking from a stop, there is a creak in the rear. Same for when I do the bounce test to the rear. Creaking as it bounds and rebounds. I lifted the rear of the car and took a lot under at the bushings, and while they seem to have the starts of fractures on the outside they are not completely torn through.

Second problem is when I'm on really bumpy roads, or go over a bump, or accelerate from a stand still harshly and throw it into second, the shifter will often bounce and make the rubbery bumping sound. I also hear it from behind, sounds like under the rear seats (in particular on the passenger side of the car.)

I looked at the tranny mount while I was under there, and it looks solid. No noticeable tears, stock rubber mount of course.

Car is 13 years old.

Do you think I just need new shocks? Could that bump be the suspension binding? Help me out, guys. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
It sounds like you answered your own question! Seeing how the vehicle is 13 years old and you are still running factory bushings. I am willing to bet that they are shot. I would suggest looking into either a poly bushing due to being able to hold up better then rubber. Or instead of replacing the bushings just replace the entire stamped/flexible lower control arm and pan hard bar with a solid rear suspension package with grease able fittings. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...bdmlneempfps26

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad