Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best pads for stock calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best pads for stock calipers?

Looking to get into road-racing, but wanna test the waters before buying the $2500 wilwood setup. Also looking for a true 1" drop spring. Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Looking to get into road-racing, but wanna test the waters before buying the $2500 wilwood setup. Also looking for a true 1" drop spring. Any suggestions?
If you don't get answers you may want to call Sam Strano at stranoparts.com for the right compound. Im running Hawk HPS pads but haven't road raced and Im not going to recommend then not knowing if they can take those kind of track temps.
The springs I will comment on though, Im assuming you have all your mods listed in you sig? I don't see any aftermarket suspension, so Im going to assume your on stock shocks, and the last thing you want to do is add lowering springs and then try to race on them. What you want is good shocks first, the factory shocks arn't even adequate for the factory springs and the main reason these cars don't handle well.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

The sign is complete bullshit. LOL. I need springs and swaybars and the suspension is done
Also planning on 555RII's on all 4 corners as the car is hardly driven on the street. But I need to call strano anyway. Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Double post
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Going with Hawk HP Plus.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kjmdrumz3
Going with Hawk HP Plus.
If I may comment really quickly, one of the most frustrating things with the Hawk HP Plus is that they're really "grabby." What I mean is that even though they're aggressive and stop like crazy, I find them too much like using a "push-button." Whilst this character may excite less experienced drivers (at least with concerns to brake modulation) more experienced drivers (e.g. those who AX, ORR, or RR) actually prefer to have much better control over modulation through the pedal sometimes despise this. I know I do and Sam Strano has commented on this as well.

Since you mentioned you'll be consulting Sam Strano, you may want to ask him about using another Hawk pad, the DTC-30. I was reading about it on another thread and he actually tried it out and preferred it over the HP Plus. More recently my friend tried it out on his HSV and another on his Evo VIII. Even though they were both skeptical about using a supposed "dirt track" pad, they were both pleased to get rid of their crummy pads that not only lightly squealed, but also felt like "push-buttons" and overheated (cannot comment completely about their overheating, but I did inspect their rotors and can tell what happened).
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

on way to get stiffer springs and not have to deal with such a big drop in height is to add spacers.

BMR sells spacers for the front shock/spring assembley that gives you 1/2" less drop. so a 1.25" spring with the spacer results in a .75" drop.

then you can run an additional spacer on the back. i did this with my car by putting 1/4" hose inside the rear spring isolator for about a 1/4-3/8" boost. if you search i posted a thread on it. gotta measure the car again now that its had time to settle more.

Quick Reply: best pads for stock calipers?