Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein $409.99 shipped

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Default SLP Bilstein $409.99 shipped

$409.99/set of 4 SLP Bilstein shocks shipped to your door (within the continental US anyway). http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sam i need some advice. i have 96' v6 firebird. i have bmr's springs sitting in my garage waiting to be installed but i just want to get some shocks so i can do the install all at once.
as much as i want koni's even with the sale that you have going on right now i dont want to break my bank account with 750$ shocks. so what else would you recommend?? car is a DD will see the track a few times this year and mountain curves=
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^ just wondering why are you putting money in to a v6?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

lol cuz i want to and i like to be different. it's the only thing i have, it was my first car since i was 15, and it only has 93,XXX on the clock. i would like a LS1 but realistically with my driving record i wouldnt be able to afford it.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DCfirebird967
lol cuz i want to and i like to be different. it's the only thing i have, it was my first car since i was 15, and it only has 93,XXX on the clock. i would like a LS1 but realistically with my driving record i wouldnt be able to afford it.
that's why you do a swap, insurance companies go by the vin... good luck with it and bump for sam!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DCfirebird967
sam i need some advice. i have 96' v6 firebird. i have bmr's springs sitting in my garage waiting to be installed but i just want to get some shocks so i can do the install all at once.
as much as i want koni's even with the sale that you have going on right now i dont want to break my bank account with 750$ shocks. so what else would you recommend?? car is a DD will see the track a few times this year and mountain curves=
What I'd recommend is either these or a set of AGX's. The AGX's are adjustable, in a sort of crude way, and are more cheaply built than the Bilstein's which are not adjustable, but are much better built and will last longer... and ride better too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
$409.99/set of 4 SLP Bilstein shocks shipped to your door (within the continental US anyway). http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Sam,
I have your springs and I am thinking about getting the bilsteins you have on sale. I already have Koni DA's, but I need to have one of them repaired. So I am thinking about pulling them all off for now and while I have the Koni's off getting repaired and/or revalved to your spring rates, I'm thinking about getting bilsteins, maybe even staying with them instead of the koni's depending on how they do. You have SLP bilsteins and HD Bilsteins. Which are more compatible with your springs or are these SLP bilsteins the appropriate ones? I autocross the car a lot and I really loved what your springs did along with the koni's. It's a long story on why these particular koni's are on the car, but I am curious which of the two different types of bilsteins are the ones I need. I will also call you to discuss a little more in detail about what I am thinking about doing but wanted to get an idea first on what the differences are in regards to bilsteins. Maybe there is a better combo you have instead.
Thanks.

Last edited by Racin'Z28; 02-09-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Launching!

I had the same question as Racing'Z28. I am looking into doing some suspension upgrades and notice that you had HD and SLP valved Bilsteins. I know you offer the revalved Bilsteins that have an older setup (from before they changed them to be more like the DeCarbons, was it?) and I wasn't sure whether that was the HD or the SLP ones. I was thinking about getting a set of your springs, and a set of hollow sway bars too. Unfortunately, I can't spend 800 dollars on a set of shocks even if they have a lifetime warranty. Wish I could, but it seems the Bilsteins are the next best choice.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll try and make this as simple as I can: Bilstein's in general came in a number of guises over the years. There were old HD's, Revalves I did, old SLP versions, new HD's and new SLP's. Now only the last two exist and are pretty much the same (very slight difference in valving on the rear).

I don't do revalves because it isn't cost effective to do the valving on 4 shocks, have on warranty, wait the 6+ weeks, and have no adjustment all of which you get don't have to deal with, or get with Koni's.

The cost effective option today is SLP Bilstein. If HD's were less expensive, I'd recommend those given the valving differences (or lack thereof). But I can offer SLP versions for less cost.

Given what's out there, if Koni's are a no-go.... then my next recommendation are Bilstein, then KYB AGX/Tokico

Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If HD's were less expensive, I'd recommend those given the valving differences (or lack thereof). But I can offer SLP versions for less cost.
So is the valving difference in favour to the HD's over Bilstein's? How would you compare the two shock's in ride quality?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Both Bilsteins are in my price range. Would the SLP or the HD offer better performance for cornering over the other? That's all I am really trying to figure out.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

HD's are Bilstein's, so are SLP's. The front shocks are identical, the rears are so slightly different it's not worth nit-picking over. I can't really discern any difference really. Ride quality between them is not any different, and fwiw, ride quality has lots to do with other things too like springs, wheels, tires, etc. Unless you have both on the very same car the results are not accurate as the car differences will make more difference.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks Sam! I think I will be ordering them here in Baltimore when the weather clears up. You get hit hard too up in PA? Supposed to get another 20 inches tonight, it's ridiculous. Haven't dug my car out yet, haha.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We're used to it up here. But we didn't get belted as hard as you guys.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

HD's are Bilstein's, so are SLP's. The front shocks are identical, the rears are so slightly different it's not worth nit-picking over. I can't really discern any difference really. Ride quality between them is not any different, and fwiw, ride quality has lots to do with other things too like springs, wheels, tires, etc. Unless you have both on the very same car the results are not accurate as the car differences will make more difference.
Good explenation, I knew that they were both Bilstein's, I just wasn't aware of the valving differences for the rear's. Also the reason I was asking for ride quality, is that some shocks tend to be set to a pretty firm setting. Such as the tokico's that they use to make for my old Taurus SHO. The car rode like a civic slammed on ebay coilovers.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's more a sign of poor shock valving than anything, and Tokico is pretty good as doing that across their range much more so then Bilstein.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do Bilstein's have a lifetime warranty?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the way my dad's GXP feels. They came factory equipped with Bilstein's
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97camaross
do Bilstein's have a lifetime warranty?
http://www.bilsteinus.com/warranty.php
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info sam. just placed my order on the slp bilstein's shocks, as well as lower control arm relo brackets. can wait to get them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein $409.99 shipped