Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

new idea for my shock upgrade married to Strano springs...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new idea for my shock upgrade married to Strano springs...?

i bought the strano springs... and they look awsome! Thanks Sam for the help and shipping them so quickly and easily! (car is in storage for now)

I have been reading and i originally wanted SLP Bilsteins because they were literally half the cost of the Koni SA Front/Rear setup...

I dont like buying $hit... and the more i read, the more i want to dish out the money for konis... and so what i was contemplating is dishing out the extra money for the front Konis and then doing just Rear Bilstein HD shocks because strano's rear spring rates arent really aggressive as far as i understand?

So, then itd cost roughly $540 (front SA konis) + $180 (rear HD Bilsteins) = $720

Compared to All Koni SA setup... $540 + $310 = $850

is it worth getting the Koni SA rear shocks or can i have a great compromise with the Koni SA in the front and HD Bilsteins in the back???

thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i dont have any experience with bilsteins only stock, kyb agx and konis.

when i lowered my ws6 i put the kyb agx and it rode ok until the springs settled and car felt bumpy after about 2-3 months i decided to upgrade the rear shocks for koni's and man did it feel a whole lot different.
If i was you i would just get konis 4/4s.

on my SS im currently running stock shocks with stranos and that feels harsh lol. last friday i ordered a set of koni rear shocks (rear decarbons are done) and i cant wait to get those install and then i will be ordering the front konis in the next month or two.

in my ws6 i never got to order the front konis since it was totalled. i did however had the kyb's and front felt pretty good but i bet that if i would of have gotten the konis in the front it would of have felt a whole lot better.

this is just my personal experience like i said i dont have any experience with bilsteins but if you are going to get front konis might aswell get the rears aswell and have them in all 4 corners.

do it once do it right
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the money and just get the Koni's front and rear.If you get the Koni single adjustable 4/3 shocks they are a little cheaper than the 4/4 ones.On the 4/3's you have to adjust the rear shocks off the car.That was not a problem for me.The koni' are better shocks than the bilsteins.You get what you pay for.I'm glad I went all the way for the Koni's,They kick ***.Shocks are one of the single most important things for your car.They are well worth the money you will spend.Call up Strano and see what he thinks about it.He is the man when it comes to suspensions.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

I was wondering the same. Looks like Konis on all 4's.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

if you can only adjust the rear ones off the car then what setting do you leave them on? and how do you adjust them?

by "4/3" that means single adjustable ones?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

4/3 are adjustable off the car, 4/4 are adjustable on the car.

my vote is konis on all 4 or wait til you have the $ to do so. do it right the first time otherwise you'll wind up buying rear konis later anyways.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also vote rear Konis, if you buy rear bilsteins you are only about $130 from having Konis on all fours. That $130 isn't going to matter much when in 6 months you are wishing you would have sprung for the Konis. And I do believe 4/3 are front adjustable on the car and rear adjustable off the car as where the 4/4s are all adjustable on the car.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd suggest the Koni 3rd gen rears. But 3rd gen Bilstein rears will work. The Bilstein 4th gen rears are too soft and pogo over rough surfaces.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

You do realize that right now 4/3 Koni's are on sale for $750 shipped, right?

Your $720 setup (something we used to do back before 4/3 setup was around) just isn't cost effective. You'd be at the same price when you added shipping in, and have non-adjustable rear shocks too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ quite a deal

anyway i'll be running koni's in the front and bilsteins in the rear until at least this summer, but then they will be upgraded as well. i was happy with the bilsteins all around for a while, but i found too good of a deal on koni's to pass up so i decided to just slowly redo everything.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You do realize that right now 4/3 Koni's are on sale for $750 shipped, right?

Your $720 setup (something we used to do back before 4/3 setup was around) just isn't cost effective. You'd be at the same price when you added shipping in, and have non-adjustable rear shocks too.
oh really????? jeez why didnt i see that? well you will be getting a call tomorrow mr. strano.

then i'm deffinately getting the koni yellows.

however, i dont get if its worth beign able to adjust the back shocks or not?

any opinions on this?

and how do i know what to set it to before putting it on the car for the 4/3 setup? for the rear shocks
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mammoth713
how do i know what to set it to before putting it on the car for the 4/3 setup? for the rear shocks
strano will help you out with that i'm sure

Quick Reply: new idea for my shock upgrade married to Strano springs...?