Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lpp headers dont work with my new umi K-member

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lpp headers dont work with my new umi K-member

the umi k member has twin pedestal motor mount stands and dident have clearence to line it up and was bumping the header. yeah it really sucks cuz the umi is a nice piece. the reason i bought it was because i have the same prob with my stock k member and thought this would work. imo the headers are poorly designed.

its the driver side pole thats toward the back of the car. my question is would the road race be any differnet or is it the same as the original, i cant tell from the pics on the web. it looks like the part hitting my header is different on the road race. If anybody can get a side pic of a umi road race k member i can see if it will work. somebody let me know. thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

never had any trouble with my LPP headers with both stock and BMR k-members
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get a different k-member, espeically if you have the same problem with the stock one. You need different headers.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I would call LPP personally.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Pics of where its hitting? My lpp hit on the stock one on a primary so we dimpled it slightly and no issues.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah just put a dimple in the primary and it will fit, i had to do it as well
Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was going to dimple it but i ended up getting in a wreck with a lady and bend the stock one. so dident want to call lpp i just order the bmr k member and sending my other one back man it was a nice peice i wish i could have used it. the bmr will clear for sure looking at the pics
Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

We have test fit that K-member with virtually every header system out there and have had no clearance issues. We have not tried the LPP headers nor have I even heard of them before? Since it was rubbing your factory K-member and others have reported issues this appears to be a header issue and not a K-member issue. I would highly recommend sourcing another set of headers, virtually any brand out there will clear with that K-member.

Seeing how some are having issues and others aren't really leaves me to believe there is a quality issue with the build of the headers.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

We have test fit that K-member with virtually every header system out there and have had no clearance issues. We have not tried the LPP headers nor have I even heard of them before? Since it was rubbing your factory K-member and others have reported issues this appears to be a header issue and not a K-member issue. I would highly recommend sourcing another set of headers, virtually any brand out there will clear with that K-member.

Seeing how some are having issues and others aren't really leaves me to believe there is a quality issue with the build of the headers.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
yes yes i totally agree... that is what i said in my original post im not bashing your product at all but i can assure you it does not work with my lpp headers. but because of the twin pedastol mounts it want work, the headers block it. im sure that other k members will work by looking at the pics. i could get new headers but i dont have to. that would be more work to do. im going to give the bmr a try.. 99% sure this will work

i like umi products though great quality and i have many prducts from umi on my car such as front a arms, rear lca's, and relocation brackets.

hopefully byunspeed lets me return it but so far not so good.. i might have to sell it myself... if anyone wants a brand new umi k-member pm me

Last edited by gc302047; 02-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

the arrow represents what is touching the header, which is the motor mount primary which is angled just a little to much for my headers.

here is the bmr has nothing in the way. it has a single primary that is straight up and down this will work

Old 02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

1. "lpp headers dont work with my new umi K-member" Mod's please change the thread title appropiate to"lpp headers dont work with my stock and aftermarket k-member". Unfortuantely too many people read into a thread title and disregard reading the actual thread. This is a header issue.

2. This is a LPP issue, not a UMI or GM issue. The simple resolution is to ask LPP to send headers that fit. As stated from previously. We've heard that some do fit and some don't so it may be a consistency issue with the headers on how they are built.

Originally Posted by gc302047
the reason i bought it was because i have the same prob with my stock k member and thought this would work. imo the headers are poorly designed.
3. This k-member was bought back in 2009 from us. The customer wants to dimple or modify the aftermarket k-member. I'm not sure why you would want to do this. You can dimple the header but I'm not sure about modifying the kmember.

This is a LPP issue I believe as others have stated that these headers are 'hit and miss'. No disrepect to LPP but this is from others point of view.

Originally Posted by shiv15
Pics of where its hitting? My lpp hit on the stock one on a primary so we dimpled it slightly and no issues.
Originally Posted by ls1adamls1
yeah just put a dimple in the primary and it will fit, i had to do it as well
I'm not sure that you can 100% verify that the BMR will work by looking at pictures but it may not until you try but that is your choice in doing so.

If you have further questions let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol i dont even know what the hell this thread turned into

my dad must have e-mailed byunspeed and told them that he wanted to modify the k member... but yeah not going to do that... all i wanted to know was the question i asked in the op but screw it! im just going to buy the bmr.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LPP Long tubes and don't have any issues with them. They tap the k member slightly but really not enough to bother me
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gc302047
lol i dont even know what the hell this thread turned into

my dad must have e-mailed byunspeed and told them that he wanted to modify the k member... but yeah not going to do that... all i wanted to know was the question i asked in the op but screw it! im just going to buy the bmr.
Message was left with your dad to call us on something. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Question: why are you building your car around a set of headers?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Hopefully the BMR k-member will address your issue. Tell your dad thanks for the call back. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Question: why are you building your car around a set of headers?
i dont want to buy and install headers again. they are already installed and i dont need new headers
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

But you are willing to install a new k-member? I certainly don't see that being less work than installing headers, but I guess it is your call.

Personally, I'd get headers that fit worth a damn if they didn't even work well with the stock k-member.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
But you are willing to install a new k-member? I certainly don't see that being less work than installing headers, but I guess it is your call.

Personally, I'd get headers that fit worth a damn if they didn't even work well with the stock k-member.
my stock k member is already off the car fyi... i took it off because the stock one was bent when i got in a wreck with a god damn asian lady! i put the umi k member in to replace and did not work. the bmr will. understand?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Hopefully the BMR k-member will address your issue. Tell your dad thanks for the call back. Good luck.
I sure will thanks for all your guys help.. Nice doing business with you guys at byunspeed. bynuspeed.com always has the best prices so im ordering from you guys once again.

Quick Reply: lpp headers dont work with my new umi K-member