Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need to be a bit lower without affecting anything else

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to be a bit lower without affecting anything else

I still have stock SS springs and shocks, and the car has that sort of offroad ride height that nobody likes. I am concerned that changing the ride hide will affect my launch dynamics (1.5 60's on worn smallish ET streets) at the track and also the traction the car has on the street (which is so good right now im afraid to change things) -- I know several people who have had this problem when lowering their fbodies. Also, I do not need the car to handle better or ride stiffer, it is already fairly rowdy as is and I dont want to hurt the ride quality anymore because it is a street car first. I'd also prefer to avoid having to get the adjustable panhard rod/relocation bracket or off-center look if I dont.

But...it looks terrible. I think a 1" drop would be a good start, and I was thinking of cutting the stock springs (gasp!), because i can keep relatively the same spring rate and ride quality (I think?) and then maybe doing the heater hose mod if its not quite enough in the back. Or can I reasonable expect something like the BMR 1.25" or hotchkis 1" by themselves to help me?

Also, I did try eibach prolines and kyb's on my 3rd gen camaro as an experiment, and that ride would be far stiffer than what im looking for here.

Car is 00 SS with 12 bolt, tubular lcas, subframes, 6 point cage, spohn adjustable torque arm, tubular panhard and rides on nitto 555r's for the street.

Suggestions?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nobody?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Now i may not be 100% right, but this is what I've seemed to gather on the subject.

Cutting the springs, depending on how much you do, may result in hitting the bump stops more than you'd like. Some Strano or BMR springs would get you to the height you seem to be looking for, but they could affect your 60's. I do know I've seen people cut some pretty good 60's on Sams springs, so I'd just take that for what it's worth.

You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with wanting to lower your car, while not affecting you're launching or making the ride stiffer. I would say some koni's on the lower perch w/ stock springs may get you where you want to go, also the heater hose mod like you mentioned.

Sorry if that didn't help much, I'm still learning along the way as well. Maybe someone else with more knowledge on the subject can chime in to help out further.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Read this thread, I believe this will work good for you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...leted-car.html

Quick Reply: Need to be a bit lower without affecting anything else