Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment necessary after shock install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Alignment necessary after shock install?

Installed konis a couple of weeks ago but haven't been able to take it out untill now because of Snow,rain & icy roads.
On a plus note the cars handles amazingly from stock, but about half way through driving & carving up corners, we decided to take it on our motorways & at about 80 the whole car started to vibrate, thought my teeth were gonna fall out.
It didn't pull to left or right when my g/f took her hands off the wheel it tracked straight! Then on the way home the ABS,tracton & Ebrake lights came on stopped turned car on & off! lights went out & we drove home.

Shocks are 1 full turn from soft back & 4 1/2 sweeps infront.
Car also has poly trans mount.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt have to after i installed my QA1's and i didnt have any problems.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you didn't change the ride height you should need to get a front end alignment.
Was this the first time driving it after installing the poly trans mount, also what brand of poly trans mount do you have?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

you should always do an alignment after swapping shocks. you take the entire front end of the car apart, and there are just too many little things to put back together exactly to get it to the same point as before the swap. the toe may not be that far off, but the camber will be way off, and probably the caster to a degree.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
you should always do an alignment after swapping shocks. you take the entire front end of the car apart, and there are just too many little things to put back together exactly to get it to the same point as before the swap. the toe may not be that far off, but the camber will be way off, and probably the caster to a degree.
I could see maybe the toe being off a little, very little.
The camber, and caster that shouldn't change unless you change the ride height, unless for some strange reason you loosen or remove the lower a-arm to change the shocks.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Get your wheel aligned. I think you suppose to always do this. I do with every shock replacement.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If you didn't change the ride height you should need to get a front end alignment.
Was this the first time driving it after installing the poly trans mount, also what brand of poly trans mount do you have?
It's an Energy suspension mount! Didn't know if it might cause excessive vibration in the cabin at high speed due to having stiffer shocks, I've still got the rubber piece i can throw in.

I'll go get an alignment tomorrow & see if it clears up.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

All you need to do with the ES poly trans mount is to cut/grind down the two preload bumps on the top of it the re-install it.It'll have a lot less vibration after that.
I know I've done it myself.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All you need to do with the ES poly trans mount is to cut/grind down the two preload bumps on the top of it the re-install it.It'll have a lot less vibration after that.
I never did that! Mounts been on there a couple of years, but didn't feel that vibration until after the shocks & that was coming up through the floor & seats, not the steering!
The only thing the car does that it's always seemed to do is pull slightly to the left when slowing down, but it doesn't vibrate the steering wheel.
I'll do the mount first though then get an alignment & if it's still there, then knowing my luck I've cocked something up pulling everything apart.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me too!! (And I have the ES poly engine mounts also....)
Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its not needed, I have done a shitload of shock installs

Quick Reply: Alignment necessary after shock install?