Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting ready to replace a-arm bushings and tie rods ends, few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Getting ready to replace a-arm bushings and tie rods ends, few ?s

Should I just go with the Moog stuff or is there something better? I see on Strano's site they don't recommend urethane bushings so I will not be going that route. Any other options I should know of?

How about the tie rods? Are the Spohn ones really that much better? The car will probably never see a road course, but they are not much more over the cost of stock replacements.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Little help here.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moog is what everyone suggest on here. I did a full poly energy suspension kit and i love the way it handles now. If its not going on a road course I think the poly bushings are fine and the stock type tie rods are fine too.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

A while back I put all stock replacement pieces from Advance on a car I was working on and it handled great!! I think anything new is better then anything thats worn out
Old 02-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Banned

There is no problem using poly in many places on our suspensions. In fact I would recommend it over rubber just about 9 times out of ten.

The only time bushing binding occurs is when the suspension piece is moving against it's natural motion. If you have that flaw in the car in the first place, no bushing will help, unless it's a rod end.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by madhatter
Should I just go with the Moog stuff or is there something better? I see on Strano's site they don't recommend urethane bushings so I will not be going that route. Any other options I should know of?
Really, Strano is pretty much spot-on with this. Opting for any type of spherical bearing usually makes it more trouble than what one can realise in the "real-world" application. Dedicated competitive environments are really where a spherical bearing would be optimal.

Originally Posted by madhatter
How about the tie rods? Are the Spohn ones really that much better? The car will probably never see a road course, but they are not much more over the cost of stock replacements.
Unfortunately they're not. Whilst I do like a design like their's (or even other likewise designs), I haven't found them to resolve any bumpsteer problems, which on the 4th-gen F-body are practically all due to the spindle height and extremely little to do with the tie-rod angles when lowering ride height. Also, since they're an "open" spherical bearing design, you'll need to inspect them much more often than conventional "ball-joint" tie-rod ends for damage due to moisture and/or road debris.