Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

heavier rate springs needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heavier rate springs needed!

just blew out a front shock in my car in sig. no suprise, the turbo was just moved up front, adding to problem of an iron block/head big block overweight. shocks bottoming out.

i have done all the weight removal I can. so I am looking for advice on a heavier weight spring+better shock and even considering coilovers. sponsors advice welcomed!

what have you done to suspend your big-block?

could I just put a heavy weight spring on the Bilstein's?

how cheap can I get an adj front suspension setup? cause I am really trying to avoid $600+ just for the front.

fwiw: right now I am sitting on oem LT1 front coils springsBilsteins. already have ls1 brakes, poly bushings in OEm control arms.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at dirt track suppliers for a "coil-over" kit. Comes with a threaded tube that slips over the shock, a lower purch that threads up and down to adjust height, and a top hat.

This rig uses a standard 2.5" spring that are available in almost any free height and spring rate.

It's an under $200 fix.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Is a heavier springrate what drag race cars want? I always thought that ideally a spring that allows easier weight transfer is more key. I would think that at least most of the heavier rate springs that lower your car wouldn't be what you want... right?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

^no, I don't think a heavier spring will do much good for lsx/ltx combos, but for a 6.5L Iron/Iron big-block Diesel i need heavier springs just to hold up the weight of the car

lsx/ltx seem to do just fine on a 275/300/or 325 lb. spring.

Quick Reply: heavier rate springs needed!