Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotors Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotors Questions

im looking to upgrade my brake rotors, i was really looking into getting cross drilled and slotted rotors, but i am unsure what name to get, relatively cheap.

so who sells a good rotor that will fit with stock calipers?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want cross drilled/slotted? Blanks perform better and last longer.

I'd suggest Brembo blanks, if you MUST have drilled/slotted, I think Baer Decela rotors areok
Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mainly for looks
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh, well, then others will know more than me there, but I think the Baer's look good and don't cost toooo much
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

if you need rotors i would give Adam @ Brakemotive a call.. they are a sponsor on here and have killer deals on pads/rotors.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

baer here
Old 03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I recommend these:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=191&ModelID=7

Why? a number of reasons.....

1. Drilled rotors cost swept area. That's metal that is no longer there to contact the brake pads, which is how the car stops.

2. Drilled rotors can absorb less heat, add that to the fact you started banging holes into a structure made to not have them (all drilled rotors for this car are standard rotors with holes CNC'ed into them later) and weakening them... and you get something more prone to warping and with less stopping power.

3. Drilled rotors don't do anything to help the performance of the brakes.

4. The ATE rotors are coated with a baked on, powdercoat like finish to keep them from rusting.

5. The slotting means minimal loss of swept area and minimal loss of of structural integrity. In fact ATE doesn't even make a full blank rotor.

6. The ATE slots are shallow. Deep enough for dirt and crap to be swept out without embedding in the pads and later causing rotor grooving. But they are only cut down to minimum wear depth. When the rotor is worn out, the grooves are gone telling you the rotor needs to be changed.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
im looking to upgrade my brake rotors, i was really looking into getting cross drilled and slotted rotors, but i am unsure what name to get, relatively cheap.

so who sells a good rotor that will fit with stock calipers?

Somehow or other, I don't think the words "relatively cheap" and brakes belong in the same sentence......
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I recommend these:

1. Drilled rotors cost swept area. That's metal that is no longer there to contact the brake pads, which is how the car stops.

2. Drilled rotors can absorb less heat, add that to the fact you started banging holes into a structure made to not have them (all drilled rotors for this car are standard rotors with holes CNC'ed into them later) and weakening them... and you get something more prone to warping and with less stopping power.

4. The ATE rotors are coated with a baked on, powdercoat like finish to keep them from rusting.

5. The slotting means minimal loss of swept area and minimal loss of of structural integrity. In fact ATE doesn't even make a full blank rotor.

6. The ATE slots are shallow. Deep enough for dirt and crap to be swept out without embedding in the pads and later causing rotor grooving. But they are only cut down to minimum wear depth. When the rotor is worn out, the grooves are gone telling you the rotor needs to be changed.

Sam, how does the black coating hold up to road salt? My "winter beater" is a GMC Canyon 4x4, and the back sides of the OE rotors are showing some rust damage that's eating into the swept area. Therefore I'm looking to replace them, and thought the ATEs might be a good choice. What's your take on it?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so way is it that corvettes,porche,mercedes,etc have drilled rotors on ?
I have heard that drilled rotors stay cooler because of the holes and the air cooling from inside out.
I have had brembo sport rotors for 2 year and i autox , trackdays and no problems.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spdygon
why do they come loaded with M1 5w30 when a cup of cold **** will protect your motor better??

manufactures are PAID to put certain things on vehicles. why do you think firestone was used exclusively on ford trucks for years, despite their exploding tire issue a few years back? firestone PAID ford to put their tires on their truck. gets them advertising, plus when people need new tires, many of them will just say 'put whatever was on there before'.....hence getting firestone more business. just because it comes on a car stock DOESNT mean its the best of all options.

and again, many of the very high end cars now have carbon fiber rotors. comparing them to regular iron rotors are apples and oranges.

this has been beating to death and back. do a search and youll see there is no benefit whatsoever to drilled rotors. even on tireracks website, there is a disclaimer that drilled should never be used on track or high perf. applications, and are not warrantied against warping.....at all.

and remember this......PADS stop the car, not the rotors.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That picture of the rotors on a car with ROH wheels: That car is driven year round in PA, complete with Dunlop Graspic winter tires. The MetaCote doesn't seem to be phased by road salt.

I looked and ATE's are made for the Canyon. $94.00 each for the fronts.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

I also run ATE rotors on the front with the Hawk HP+ pad and have been very happy. The rotors are great for the money and still look sharp with zero rust anywhere.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have heard that drilled rotors stay cooler because of the holes and the air cooling from inside out.
I have had brembo sport rotors for 2 year and i autox , trackdays and no problems.
Why do none of their competition cars use drilled rotors?????????????

They don't run cooler, in fact the holes trip up the air flow through the vanes. Why do Corvettes come with one front rotor vaned backwards??????

Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

That picture of the rotors on a car with ROH wheels: That car is driven year round in PA, complete with Dunlop Graspic winter tires. The MetaCote doesn't seem to be phased by road salt.

I looked and ATE's are made for the Canyon. $94.00 each for the fronts.
Thanks, Sam....Since winter is almost over, but it's still kind of cold to be pulling the front end apart to change rotors, I'll finish out the season with the OE rotors. I'll get back in touch with you about new ones in a few months.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

a cup of cold **** will destroy your motor.
brembo sport rotor are made from carbon ceramic steel . they claim that the way the pattern is design is what helps with heat,gas,buildup and will prevent stress fractures due to high speed braking. if you compare the hole pattern from a brembo rotor to others you do see a diffrence.
just my op....i have always use brembo since racing AMA back in the late 80,s early 90,s
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

I recommend these:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=191&ModelID=7

We have these rotors with Hawk HPS Pads on our 00 WS.6, and LOVE them!! The car stops great, and after 2 years, they still look new!!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

a cup of cold **** will destroy your motor.
brembo sport rotor are made from carbon ceramic steel . they claim that the way the pattern is design is what helps with heat,gas,buildup and will prevent stress fractures due to high speed braking. if you compare the hole pattern from a brembo rotor to others you do see a diffrence.
just my op....i have always use brembo since racing AMA back in the late 80,s early 90,s
oooo....carbon ceramic steel? I've never heard of a carbon CERAMIC steel....all steels are carbon steels however

Really, anytime you take material away from the rotor you're hurting the structure. This allows temps to build faster (less material to absorb the heat) and less resistance to warping. I don't care care what they say, slotted/drilled rotors < non slotted/drilled for braking performance.

Looks are a different thing

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 03-04-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not to mention that saying all Brembo's are alike is as silly as thinking all Chevrolet's are alike. Yeah, an Aveo is the same as a ZR1...

Frankly those Brembo Sports rotors are the same as their blank rotors, then they drill and/or slot them. Look up the part number, you'll see they are all the same but for the first number. Not like we're talking about some specifically engineered super duper fancy drilled rotor. It's a drilled blank. I can sell those too, but they are way overpriced which is why I don't.

Quick Reply: Rotors Questions