Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment question regarding caster

Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question regarding caster

I took my 98 Trans AM for alignment after changing my tie rods.

The guys at Firestone said that front castor can't be adjusted. They said that may frame maybe bend. Is this true or do we have a lazy tech?

The car pulls during breaking I noticed.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dezell

The guys at Firestone said that front castor can't be adjusted. They said that may frame maybe bend. Is this true or do we have a lazy tech?

A pull during braking is typically caused by a seized caliper.

Does the car pull when you are off the brakes?? If the caster is in fact out of spec on one front wheel, it will always cause a pull to the side of least caster, regardless of brake application.

Caster is adjustable as well, the adjustment is in the lower control arm. However, if the tech adjusted it all the way in one direction and its still not in spec, the chassis could be tweaked.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
A pull during braking is typically caused by a seized caliper.

Does the car pull when you are off the brakes?? If the caster is in fact out of spec on one front wheel, it will always cause a pull to the side of least caster, regardless of brake application.

Caster is adjustable as well, the adjustment is in the lower control arm. However, if the tech adjusted it all the way in one direction and its still not in spec, the chassis could be tweaked.
^^ I agree,
but if unable to gain proper spec. they may be able to offset one side against the other( a about 0.50 % lead on right siide) to over come pull
( IF pull is no brake related)
Johnny
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Wow you guys are good. Thanks Wesman & Johnny.

Now I have couple things to check this week. I'll have to do a little more road testing to do. I think you're right about the capiler. The problem is intermittent with the pulling. I double check the lower control arms too while I'm at it.

Thanks again for your help!

-Drew
Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't they give you a printout of "before" and "after" settings??

I'm sure your caster can be "adjusted", maybe just not within spec, possibly due to some past damage, or just a lazy tech that doesn't want to mess with a frozen bolt, or a worn bushing, stuff like that. Most "franchise shops" specialize in the time honored, "toe and go"..........
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow you guys are good. Thanks Wesman & Johnny.

Now I have couple things to check this week. I'll have to do a little more road testing to do. I think you're right about the capiler. The problem is intermittent with the pulling. I double check the lower control arms too while I'm at it.

Thanks again for your help!

-Drew
No problem man, let us know how you make out.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 AM
12 Second Club

And Find a better shop than most chain tire places. NTB really messed mine up and found a local shop that specializes in this and now its staying on the road.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

yup 1st problem is firestone. i just quit from there after 4 years. i wouldnt go there. f-bodies require a special tool that makes adjusting camber/caster a hell of a lot easier than pry bars. the tech most likely didnt want to mess with it. i would take it back and complain. bitch enough at firestone and you will get anything! beleive me... free alignment done right the second time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alignment question regarding caster