Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA Relocation bracket Question!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LCA Relocation bracket Question!?

I have Edelbrock LCA's, Edelbrock IAS shocks and Eibach Prolines:

Do I have to weld the relocation brackets for my new Edllebrock LCA's? They are now angled due to lowering the car of course and my beautiful tires are not hooking as good anymore.

Can I just bolt them on or should they be reinforced with welds? I'm not a welder!

What do you think?

Thanks...
Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Only bolting on is fine,if the manufacturers thought bolt-on brackets weren't good enough and should be welded on, then they wouldn't be suppling them and they'd be supplying weld-on brackets only.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above! We suggest to our customers when the get our bolt on relocation brackets. If they would like to when they get a chance to have them welded on. But until you are running the single digits you will be fine with bolting them on. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys. I am far from single digits and don't dog her much.

Guess they are going on today! I'll post my happiness when done.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

they are "bolt-on" style relocation brackets right? Just making sure you are not going to simple bolt-on the weld-in style.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Good point !!! You can't just bolt on the 'weld-ons'. They have to have the 'ear' for the shock bolt.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
they are "bolt-on" style relocation brackets right? Just making sure you are not going to simple bolt-on the weld-in style.
They are definitely bolt-ons and these bolts are some serious hardware. They also have the sleeves for the bolts. Should be solid. If the LCA's themselves are secure with the two bolts on them, then the brackets should be fine.

Edelbrock instruction sheet says to tack weld as well and stith weld. I am assuming that is if you are running some serious track drag and handling stuff.

Thanks again...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Edelbrock on line catalog doesn't show any bolt-on LCA re-los,weld on only #5275

since UMI also responded to this thread,here's a link to their webpage showing Bolt-on LCA re-los.Bolt-ons must have the 'ear' for the shock bolt.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=117

Last edited by FirstYrLS1Z; 03-08-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Edelbrock on line catalog doesn't show any bolt-on LCA re-los,weld on only #5275

since UMI also responded to this thread,here's a link to their webpage showing Bolt-on LCA re-los.Bolt-ons must have the 'ear' for the shock bolt.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=117
Yeah, I just looked at Edelbrock's website and they look like weld-in ONLY brackets. Yes, they will bolt on but that is only to hold them in place for welding. The true bolt in brackets have an additional bracket that bolts to the lower shock mount.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

These are what I have. They came with the suspension kit I bought a few years back through Summit. They are weld-on. They have been at my brothers for a while and we both assumed they were bolt-ons cuz that's what he has.

I just saw them today for the first time in three years when we decided to dig them out of the trans am suspension graveyard we have created between the both of us.

As one of the previous posters stated, they do not have the extra arm to atttach to the strut bolt. I confirmed this with Edelbrock and they said I should weld them. The instructions also require a slight dremel mod on the emergency brake bracket on the passenger rear side. Anyone do this on their lowered TA/SS?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Off to find a welder...
Attached Thumbnails LCA Relocation bracket Question!?-edelbrock-relocation-brackets.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdoublep
These are what I have. They came with the suspension kit I bought a few years back through Summit. They are weld-on. They have been at my brothers for a while and we both assumed they were bolt-ons cuz that's what he has.

I just saw them today for the first time in three years when we decided to dig them out of the trans am suspension graveyard we have created between the both of us.

As one of the previous posters stated, they do not have the extra arm to atttach to the strut bolt. I confirmed this with Edelbrock and they said I should weld them. The instructions also require a slight dremel mod on the emergency brake bracket on the passenger rear side. Anyone do this on their lowered TA/SS?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Off to find a welder...
Hello
Yes with any type of relocation bracket (both weld on and bolt on) you will have to trim both sides of the Emergency brake bracket. And the brackets that you have in the link are a weld on version. They offer the hardware to reinforce the OEM mounting location with a sleeve. And the hardware for your lower control arm. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Yes with any type of relocation bracket (both weld on and bolt on) you will have to trim both sides of the Emergency brake bracket. And the brackets that you have in the link are a weld on version. They offer the hardware to reinforce the OEM mounting location with a sleeve. And the hardware for your lower control arm. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad

Brad-

Thanks for the info. So the relocation brackets slip over the OEM brackets like a sleeve once I modify the e-brake issue. I am concerned about the e-brake being secure enough.

Am I just cutting one side of the e-brake bracket or both? Instruction sheet is old but picture seems to want me to cut just the inside part of the e-brake bracket.

Seems like both sides are in the way and are preventing reloc bracket from slipping over OEM mounting bracket. If i cut one side, the other will secure when I mount with new hardware bolt since the bolt has to slide through the e-brake bracket?

The only thing about Edelbrock I hate is the horrible instructions with faded pics!

Thanks...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Edelbrock Instruction sheet attached. What ya think?

Thanks...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

The e bracket needs to move towards the tire so you cut off the inner portion. make the cut on the back just before the corner. The e bracket goes on the outside of the relo bracket. Best pic I got, if you look close you can see the cut at the corner and the e bracket outside.

hope that helps, mine are bolt in btw but you get the picture and no need to worry the bolt holds it firmly in place.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks bro! A picture is worth a thousand words for sure. I appreciate your time. Found a good welder too!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

no prob glad I could help..good luck and enjoy the new set up.

Quick Reply: LCA Relocation bracket Question!?