Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

newbie hearing a weird clunk, help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie hearing a weird clunk, help?

ive searched this and found all sorts of random noises and theories. so bear with me. its coming from the passenger front side and only under slightly hard LEFTHAND turns. its a clunk, pretty cloud, almost sounding as if its seperating or pulling apart from something it sounds like the front shocks are squeaky but the rears have been replaced. so im assuming its just old and needs to be replaced, as its got 167k on it. any help is greatly appreciated. tell me what you think it might be, and estimated part cost, thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds a lot like the noise I had in my front end, which was the passenger side upper strut mount and strut plate insulator (looks like a dorito shape, is basically a piece of steel with some rubber)...these cars do NOT have strut bearings as the struts don't rotate with the spindles, they're connected to the LCA's and the spindle is held in orientation and allowed to pivot via an upper control arm and upper balljoint, much different than a third gen...you're probably going to find parts that are corroded beyond belief when you get it apart...mine had about 175K on it, and as I lowered the entire strut/spring assembly out of the car, I saw how badly the upper nut and plate were rotted, and I was actually afraid it was going to let go and I'd have the spring shooting off...there is NO visible rust anywhere on my car, but the upper mounts collect water and all the fun things it brings in with it and promote corrosion pretty badly.

Some people on this forum suggessted painting the new hardware (nut and strut rod) after assembly to avoid corrossion...I did that and after the paint set I wiped grease all over it too to try to keep the water away from it better.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Teching In

How much did the strut rod cost you?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Btw I'm planning on saving enough for some aftermarket suspension work like an eibach pro kit and some kyb agx's. How long do I have until this gets serious? I'll probably pull it apart next weekend and take a peek.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new rod is part of the new strut when you buy your KYB's...the additional parts you need are the upper mounts, and the plate insulators. I think the mounts were $62 each, and the insulators were $17 each...if you do one side, do both sides.