Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Caliper mount bolts snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Caliper mount bolts snapped!

I was only trying to replace my brake pads. I could not get my caliper mount bolts to move, I managed to snap two. The caliper cannot be removed. I'm not sure if I can even drive the car now! What can I do? Is there an easy method of somehow getting the remaining bolt out, and replacing them?

Last edited by Mr.Slow; 03-08-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are these the bolts that secure the caliper to the bracket? If so, they screw in to pins that float in side the caliper. You can get new pins and bolts from any auto parts store. Just slide in new pins and you are back in business.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

the only 'caliper mount bolts' i can think of are the 2 that screw into the slide pins. the slide pins were probably frozen, and the bolts were probably rusted/stuck. i supposed the heads snapped off. i wouldnt drive it, as there really isnt anything holding the caliper together.

try taking the entire bracket off....the bracket that hold the caliper and slide pins. it attaches to the spindle. youll need something like a 7/8 socket or close to that in metric. disconnect the brake hose, clamp or plug the end so all the fluid doesnt leak out. youll have to put it all in a vise and try to get the pieces out that way.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you, and yes it was those bolts.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I think where I went wrong has to do with a "threaded sleeve" that requires a 16mm wrench. I used an adjustable that wouldn't grab. Did this have to be spun first? I tried to do it according to installuniversity.com.

And now I'm trying to find something detailed on how to take the whole bracket out, because my caliper cannot be wiggled out. I guess there is too much bolt left in the caliper. Are the calipers threaded. Or is it just the sleeve?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

the 'sleeve' is the slide pins. they are supposed to be greased and be able to move inside the bracket. if they dont, theyre frozen. its not supposed to be spun, but if its working properly, it will spin when you back out the caliper bolt. just the slide pins are threaded. hit everything with WD40 and see if it loosens up.

if not, just look at where the bracket bolts to the spindle, and take those 2 bolts out.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. I was worried trying to remove the bolt would ruin the caliper. Now I just have to worry about the sleeve. Is the sleeve able to be removed from the caliper bracket?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Slow
Awesome. I was worried trying to remove the bolt would ruin the caliper. Now I just have to worry about the sleeve. Is the sleeve able to be removed from the caliper bracket?
Theoretically, yes. The pins will often get flat-spotted from use and may seize up in the bracket. (Then you need to be more forceful or creative to get them out.)
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lefty loosey...righty tightey! My bolts came off with a couple wacks with a mallet on a wrench.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Well half my bolt came out, the other was stuck in the sleeve. I used a flathead and a hammer to get the whole sleeve out s I have brand new ones. The brake job went successful, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Help! Caliper mount bolts snapped!