Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Qa1 ?s Please Read if you have them!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Qa1 ?s Please Read if you have them!

Alright i bought a used Qa1 setup not long ago. They are single adj all the way around. When i tighten the rears up i cant push them in. Like its suppose to be. Then when i loosen it up all the way i can push it in kinda easy but it dont push its self out at all. are they suppose to like regular shocks?

If not what do i need to do? can they be rebuilt? if so do you know how much?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom
Alright i bought a used Qa1 setup not long ago. They are single adj all the way around. When i tighten the rears up i cant push them in. Like its suppose to be. Then when i loosen it up all the way i can push it in kinda easy but it dont push its self out at all. are they suppose to like regular shocks?

Hello
They are rebuild-able but that is something you are going to have to get in contact with QA1 about! Have you had them on the car yet? What type of Car were they on (Street or Race)? By the way it sounds they seem fine. When you have them set on the the softer setting you don't want the shock to unload the transferred weight too fast. They have 12 prevalved setting in each shock. So I would say unless they aren't leaking they are fine.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom

Thats what drag shocks do, and now you can see part of the reason they are no good for handling/ride.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

QA1s' are not gas charged like the OEMs' are.They will stay wherever you compress/expand them to.
The single adjustable are,I believe,12 positions.It takes a while to find the setting you like for normal riding,a different setting for handling,and a different setting for the strip.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran QA1's on my other car for a few months, and learned quickly, they DO NOT like cold weather...the first cold day...all 4 shocks blew at the same time...I had them rebuilt under warranty, and sold them immediately (told the new owner in California to keep them warm).

Not a street car shock in my opinion...if you want adjustable shocks on the street, get Koni's...I love mine. You are in Texas, so they might be fine, but if it does get cold where you live, they might not be worth your hassle.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 03-10-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah they are going to be on a street car. They are not leaking. Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a single adjustable QA1 shock that is leaking right now. I'm looking into getting it rebuilt and trying to find somewhere local but, how complicated is the rebuild on these? I saw a photo of the rebuild kit and doesn't seem like to much? I've taken apart engines and I work on small electronics for a living so, just wondering how hard could it be? (famous last words, right? hehe)

And is it common knowledge that they are just not for street driving? I am a suspension newbie but, back when I dumped a butt load of loot on fixing the car up I bought these figureing they would give me some options to how I like the suspension. Plus, I do like to get out to a drag strip or road course every once in a while.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I have a single adjustable QA1 shock that is leaking right now. I'm looking into getting it rebuilt and trying to find somewhere local but, how complicated is the rebuild on these? I saw a photo of the rebuild kit and doesn't seem like to much? I've taken apart engines and I work on small electronics for a living so, just wondering how hard could it be? (famous last words, right? hehe)

And is it common knowledge that they are just not for street driving? I am a suspension newbie but, back when I dumped a butt load of loot on fixing the car up I bought these figureing they would give me some options to how I like the suspension. Plus, I do like to get out to a drag strip or road course every once in a while.
You "can" drive with whatever setup on the street that you want, hell there are people that drive with slicks and skinnies on the street... That being said QA1's (or any drag shock) are valved to transfer weight, period. They will leave you with floaty disconnected, sloppy handling. So if you are into road racing, or any kind of handling then QA1s are not for you just like slicks and skinnies wouldn't be the greatest idea on a road course.

Quick Reply: Qa1 ?s Please Read if you have them!