TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stagg Shocks?????

Anyone tried them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=400106559717
Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone have but I'm sure they won't last long or are that good. That's cheap as hell. Remember you always get what you pay for or at least that price you something is gonna give somewhere. You may can go to WS6Store and look at the SLP Bilstein Shocks they have them for $371.46 and if you talk nice to them they may give you free shipping on it. An by the way Hello fellow Tennesseean. I'm from Chattanooga.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of them......
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Question revived

i know im gonna get crap for this, so sorry in advance... as stated in the first post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

i was thinkin about jumping on these. i found reviews on several other forums, but they werent specific to f-bodies. alot of positives and negatives. but all reviews had been within only 3-4 months of use. it seems they rank between tokico blue and kyb gr2. its been over 9 months since the / was asked and hoping maybe someone had tried?

if u havent personally experienced then i care less about ur thoughts... thanx
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

those are frakinn cheap.......i would be worried
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

yea... i have never had a problem using ebay brands, but ive never guinea pigged it either so if i see enough positive, enough to outweigh the negative, which it sits bout 50/50 now, then ill try them. if they fail, then at least i make out with some killer springs :/
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

You get what you pay for. Further who the hell are they? What is the track record? I looked at their website, it's useless.

And frankly, they aren't that much cheaper to be going with an unknown. When you can get brands you know for around $400 to your door what's the gain? Sure you save a little money, but you can save a little money buying shoes at Wal-mart and not wearing Nike or New Balance, etc... What in life do you know of that works really that's cheap? Harbor Freight tools, ain't Snap-on--or even Craftsman quality. Pep Boys tires aren't going to work like a nice set of BFG's or Bridgestones. Shocks are different.

Quality parts are built from quality materials. Quality materials cost more money. If you are that desperate to save some bucks, I'd tell you to look @ KYB GR2's instead of those things.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

... as if i didnt kno... wasnt askin bout materials... only experience on the shocks themselves. once i start bankin 2k/week then ill gladly invest in ur top quality konis. (how did i know a response like this would come up, and from a vendor of course) if quality comes at a cost, then how come we are thriving on mostly chinese made products? why is it chinese products carry life warranties (tho limited) vs us 1-5 yrs conditional? wouldnt buying the cheaper product be like doin the work urself instead of goin to the stealership, or worse - mom and pop shop? but thats not for this thread...

back to the original ? at hand: does anyone have any experience with these shocks?

fyi - these are only temporary since im only makin so little mney during these hard times.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfon159
fyi - these are only temporary since im only makin so little mney during these hard times.
Here's some advice: if you are having hard times, the last thing you need to be doing is buying shocks, especially cheap ones. If they are only temporary, then you are already planning on replacing them, so why spend more money on the same parts? I've been there...I started out with Bilsteins, and ended up going with Konis in the end. I would have been better off just saving up the extra money the first time and doing it right.

Probably not what you want to hear, and you'll end up doing whatever you want, but you'd really be better off waiting if these really are just temporary.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

How good are Harbor Freight tools? Not very when compared to almost anything else... Yet they have a "lifetime" warranty. The joke is that they are good for their life, and that's it.

The warranties help sell the product because it gives a warm fuzzy feeling. But there are plenty of instances where actually needing that warranty happens too much, or redeeming it is a huge hassle (or maybe not possible at all). Tokico is one that's got pretty poor warranty service vs. Koni that rocks it.

As for materials not mattering. Well, I do not agree. You could have the best contractor in the world, but he's using substandard materials you're house will not be as well built as it could be. Materials effect performance.

I also didn't say you needed Koni's, did I? In fact I said there were at least two better options for right around $400 to you door... But I guess that doesn't matter, because since I'm a vendor I'm out to get ya. I suppose those folks selling Stagg shocks are doing you a favor?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tokico or KYB would take a crap all over those Stagg's. Heck stock deCarbons most likely would too. Why cheap out on ride comfort and safety? No you may not need Penske race shocks but Bilstein suits 99% of most peoples requirements at a fair and respectable price.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Sam, you need to have a layaway plan for shocks like Kmart/Walmart use to have, LOL. Shocks don't spoil or vary much do they? If not, maybe I can buy one shock at a time!

Seriously, as I stated in another "I want a cheap shock" thread, the difference in handling between the stock shocks and even the KYB AGX is incredible, and now that the Bilsteins are less than $400, I recommend just saving up.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let's be honest here, the no-name, who-knows-what brand are almost $300.. I know $100 is a $100... that's less than 2 tanks of Premium fuel difference for shocks that will be around a LOT longer than that gas. $100 isn't nothing, but it's relative. Go out to dinner and a movie and you'll likely drop that much in a night.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And no, no lay-away plan.... Too many people flake out when they can put something on hold (which I paid for but then can't sell to someone else). Can't pay the bills that way.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Save for better shocks, in my opinion that is a suspension component that you don't want to skimp on. You don't have to get koni's as stated in other post. If your not lowering the car and don't have koni money yet then I would suggest some bilsteins. My car had them from the factory and they seemed to perform well.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(how did i know a response like this would come up, and from a vendor of course)

When I did the c5 brake upgrade on my 97 Z I spoke with Sam. Once I explained what I wanted to do he recommended another setup that would meet my requirements for less money. I only recommend 1 guy for suspension and brakes, and thats Sam Strano. Just thought I would throw this out there.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Teching In

i totally agree with what yall r sayin. dont get me wrong. i dont plan on buying these then six months down the road replacing with something better. thats a waste. the diff between now and later is that i know the shocks support the rest of the suspension and even body of vehicle. why prolong the shock replacement and risk prematurily wearing out another suspension component when i can prolong the wear? granted, i do plan on redoing the suspension as a whole, especially gettin that watts link from sam, but i dont like my suspension bottoming out on daily basis and brand new tires wearing uneven due to worn shocks. but if it truely is worth the risk then ill take it.

wasnt tryin to get offensive/defensive/whatever... just got to me seeing threads always ending up this way. so thanx, i guess, for ur opinions
Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfon159
...but i dont like my suspension bottoming out on daily basis and brand new tires wearing uneven due to worn shocks. but if it truely is worth the risk then ill take it.
what do you mean by "bottoming out" exactly? bump stops are a functioning part of the suspension so hitting them isn't always bad. anddd what does your alignment look like? I think that has a LOT more to do with your tire wear problems than your shocks
Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

learn from my experience and don't skimp on the shocks. i went with the kyb's and they worked good for a while, about a year (i don't dd my TA anymore so that's prolly why they lasted this long). i noticed the ride quality degrading within months of replacing too. some konis or QA1s are on my shopping list for when i get back from deployment. and some better springs too.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
what do you mean by "bottoming out" exactly? bump stops are a functioning part of the suspension so hitting them isn't always bad. anddd what does your alignment look like? I think that has a LOT more to do with your tire wear problems than your shocks
bad shocks will affect tire wear because contact strength isnt constant. and thank god for bump stops, but bottoming out isnt good either, eventually bump stops will wear and drgrade and lead to metal clunking = not good!

well, since it seems noone has experience with these shocks, ill just go with everyone and try to save up for the bisteins if theyre still at the same sale price i seen them at.

mods feel free to close this thread if you wish.

Quick Reply: Stagg Shocks?????