Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Parts Identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Parts Identification

I just bought a set of Raybestos front rotors and pads for one of my vehicles from rockauto.com

They come in the mail, in cheap packaging with a beat up Raybestos box containing the pads, and unmarked white boxes containing each of the unmarked rotors. The pads were basically thrown in the Raybestos box randomly, and the only Raybestos marking they have on them is on the shims.

How can I verify the parts I recieved are actually what I ordered? Hell, I can't even tell if the pads are ceramic or semi-metallic based on the lack of packaging.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

bump

could really use some help here guys
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AngryJ
bump

could really use some help here guys
If you can't tell with the parts in front of you, i doubt any of us can help you identify them especially the cheapo rotors in the white boxes.

Pack it all up and send it back for a refund. Consider the cost of shipping it a lesson learned on buying cheap stuff online. Rock Auto is a reputable place so should take your stuff back and give you a refund, but if they give you grief, just tell them the truth, WTF are you supposed to do with stuff with no way to know if its correct.
Then take your money, and maybe a little more to buy slightly better stuff, to a local place and buy it over the counter so you can at least look at it before you pay. I don't know where you live but I have a local speed shop that sells good brake stuff like bendix and NAPA for not much more than the cheapo places. Once you get to know the guys at the local speed shop, they tend to give you more of a discount like they do for repair shop customers.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Are there any numbers on the items? The friction material standards institute (FMSI) friction code for the fronts is D749 and D750 for the rears. A pic would help in IDing them.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
Consider the cost of shipping it a lesson learned on buying cheap stuff online. Rock Auto is a reputable place ...
Lesson learned from buying cheap stuff? I go out of my way to find a reputable shop selling Raybestos, as opposed to buying the cheap local crap and I'm a fault here?

I took them to a local shop to see if they could identify them. Rotors are correct, but pads are Raybestos for a BMW ... wtf. Hopefully they refund my shipping for sending those pads when I need them for a Navigator.

Definitely the last time I order from Rockauto. I recommend anyone else stay away from their too based on my experience.