Guys with Fays2 Watts or rod ends in general, ? about cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Guys with Fays2 Watts or rod ends in general, ? about cleaning

So that I don't retype the story...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/12996073-post24.html

The short version is that I developed a popping noise in turns and over uneven pavement that evolved into a squeak. After messing around with sway bar bushings, end links, LCA, etc I finally figured out that the two rod ends in the propeller of my Watts link were the cause. One was somewhat stiff to articulate and made a horrible squeaking noise when it did move, and the other was so stiff that it would hardly move at all. I used some PB Blaster to try and clean them out. That made the both rod ends much better, although they still didn't articulate as well as the ones connected to the axle tube mounts, but the squeak was gone and I was somewhat happy.

After a little over a week the squeak is back. So I was wondering what sort of regimen people use for either cleaning or lubricating their rod ends. I have seen that some use brake cleaner on them. Is that safe for the lining? Is PB Blaster a decent choice? Should I just replace them and be done with it?

I know that a lot of people say rod ends are a "wear" item and they just replace them at an interval, but these have something like 4000mi (9 months) on them. Paying for 2-4 rod ends more than once a year seems a little excessive.

So the next thing I was thinking about was maybe trying to create some dust boots to protect the rod ends from road grime or whatever is jamming them up. The ends connecting to the axle tube mounts might not be too hard to cover up but the propeller ends seem more complicated. And those are the two that are giving me problems, not the ones connected to the axle.

Has anyone with a Watts link tried to make some boots, or found some sort of off the shelf product or boot that would fit and work?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

crickets....

So I found through a little searching some people run some Seals-it rod end protectors. They have a formal dust boot:

Or some sort of rod end seals

Anyone run these? I am sort of leaning towards the actual boots, but people are claiming to have success with the seals.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would probably work very nicely. Easpcially the formal boot, the other seals is what i would use if i couldnt find that boot on the first picture anywhere.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm surprised you had a problem with them. I ran mine for over a year & they are still quiet. I would not lubricate them as that causes dirt to stick to them & will in fact cause more wear. The seals would be nice, but the propeller is likely too tight to fit the seals in.

Typically the outers get more trash on them, so I'm surprised the inners went first. Are you sure they were not binding during suspension movement... The extra twisting stress will damage them. Are you running the o-rings on the rod ends?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I'm surprised you had a problem with them. I ran mine for over a year & they are still quiet. I would not lubricate them as that causes dirt to stick to them & will in fact cause more wear. The seals would be nice, but the propeller is likely too tight to fit the seals in.

Typically the outers get more trash on them, so I'm surprised the inners went first. Are you sure they were not binding during suspension movement... The extra twisting stress will damage them. Are you running the o-rings on the rod ends?
I was running the o-rings. I don't think they were binding either, although now that they are making noise and not moving all that great they may be slightly. When I installed them I jacked up each side individually to take a look at articulation and it seemed ok. Each rod end was centered in the propeller. Really I am surprised that the propeller ones are giving me trouble as well. I am wondering if it isn't because they don't really move as much as the axle side ends and so sort of corrode and don't "self lubricate" as well. Although when I took the parts off the car there didn't really seem to be any corrosion. There was some grime which I tried to clean out. Might be some mist out of the diff overflow or pinion? The o-rings around the axle rod ends might have done a better job either that or maybe the extra rain water cleans the outer ones off more

I'm probably going to get replacement ends, but I need to figure out if they are the right or left handed ones. I honestly don't recall the various ends being different threads, but the manual says there were two rights and two lefts... If I remember though the arms were pre-assembled so I didn't really have to "screw" with them too much except for fine adjustment.

I think maybe the seals or the boots would fit, obviously I won't be running the o-rings if I get a set of those.

As far as cleaning agents, some people recommend brake cleaner. I have also seen people talk about "dry" lubricant sprays... and especially those with PTFE (Teflon) in them, since that is what the ends are lined with anyway, I wouldn't think those would damage them too much.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mine ever need to be cleaned I would use WD-40 and a grade IV CPC to help protect them. Those boots are a neat item. but will cover up any problems that may come up. now some solvents such as PB blaster are very harsh on some metals/materials and can lead to premature wear on items like teflon lined bearings. Bearings of any kind need regular visual maintaince. If the boots are cheap not a bad idea to try them out but still dont forget to look at the bearings regulary.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the rod ends that come with the watts link of decent quality? I switched my PHB over to some higher quality ends and they've stayed tight for 2 years now.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Well I think they are decent quality. I have seen posted that they are Aurora or FK, but I think the ones that came with mine look more like QA1s.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they were aurora rods ends or something?

Quick Reply: Guys with Fays2 Watts or rod ends in general, ? about cleaning